Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Story point estimation changing when features from other stories are implemented

  • Lasse Koskela
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2010
      Jacob, et al,

      On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM, chuckspublicprofile
      <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:
      > If we have stories A, B, and C as Ron describes:
      >
      > "Given stories A B C where the first one, say, will cost 4, but
      > then the others will be 1 each..."
      >
      > We estimate each as 4, that way any one can be done in any order at the proper size
      > estimate, but we communicate to the team and PO that there is this dependency issue.
      > [...] Now, when either of A, B, or C gets accepted into a sprint, we immediately change
      > the estimate of the other others as appropriate. This generally happens in a sprint
      > planning meeting.
      >
      > We also just sometimes assume an order because it seems very likely that order will
      > be respected. Again, if our backlog is not terribly large and these are rare exceptions,
      > we can assume an order without too much risk. If the backlog is bigger or there are
      > multiple dependencies, I recommend you design a simple strategy to document the
      > dependencies that works for your team. But again, work on removing the
      > dependencies altogether!

      Yet another way to handle such scenarios is to rewrite A, B and C such
      that they don't identify the particular case. That is, item A' would
      become something like "Do X with one of A, B or C" and item B' would
      become "Do X with the remaining two of A, B, and C."

      Plus marking the dependency somehow if considered useful.

      Lasse

      --
      Lasse Koskela
      * Author of "Test Driven" (Manning Publications, 2007) *