RE: [scrumdevelopment] Product Owner Interview Questions

  • Steven Janvrin
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 14, 2010
      Peter - this is great feedback.  Thanks.

      Steve.

      i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
      Join me

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: peterstev@...
      Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:10:18 +0100
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Product Owner Interview Questions

      Hi Steve,

      Most of these are yes/no, otherwise known as "closed" questions, even though you try open them up a bit with 'why?' at the end. While closed questions can be useful under certain circumstances, they do not draw out the interviewee. Let's try rephrasing them as open questions:
      1. What are the most essential characteristics of agile development frameworks?
      2. How is Scrum different than agile?
      3. What's your understanding of the Product Owner role? Why does that role interest you?
      4. Why do you think you can be successful in this role?
      5. What is the impact of time pressures on delivering software which delights the customer?
      6. What issues would you expect given our current level of Scrum implementation? How would you deal with them?
      7. How will you guide the team to success as a product owner?
      8. What are the issues regarding scope, time, budget and priorities? What is most important? Why?
      9. When do you bring donuts to the team? Why?
      What conversation do you expect from your questions? What conversation do you expect from the questions above? Which questions are more likely to help you pick a good (the best) candidate? Why?

      Cheers,

      Peter

        On 14.01.10 19:24, Steven Janvrin wrote:

      1. How much knowledge/understan ding do you have of Agile development practices and frameworks?

      2. What about Scurm in particular?  What's your understanding of the Product Owner role?

      3. Is this a role that interests you? Why?

      4. Is it a role that you could be successful in? Why?

      5. Do you understand the time pressures of this role in relation to the needs of the team to get answers to questions?

      6. Are you interested and prepared to come into an organization that is suboptimal in its current adoption of Scrum and help improve this process?

      7. Will you try to project manage the team?  Why/why not?

      8. Can you make hard decisions about scope, timing, priorities, etc.?  Provide examples.

      9. Can you bring donuts in daily for the team?

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: jacob@77toolkit. com
      Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:10:03 +0200

      >in an interview (which already occurred, by the way).

      What questions did you ask?

      On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Steven Janvrin <sjanvrin@hotmail. com> wrote:

      My role is project and program management.  I'm a CSM, but working in an organization in the process of adopting Scrum opposed to one already up the curve in using Scrum.  We are an expanding company and need to hire additional resources, one of which is a Product Owner.

      I'm not looking for the "magic bullet" list of questions - just some guidance on good topics to cover in an interview (which already occurred, by the way).  I'm also not sure that "self-selection" , while optimal, is always a feasible strategy for acquiring new team members.

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: roymorien@hotmail. com
      Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 02:23:56 +0000

      What is your role and position? I find the concept of 'interviewing a PO candidate' to be a bit strange. I would have thought that the PO would come from the user community and be someone who is familiar with the busines activities being considered. Such a person would almost be self-selected.

      Am I wrong? Please explain this a bit to me.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: sjanvrin@hotmail. com
      Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:01:46 +0000

      I'm interviewing a Product Owner candidate today and wondered if anyone has generated a list of potential interview questions for this position.

      Any help is appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Steve Janvrin

      Start searching NOW! Search for properties that match your lifestyle!

      --
      Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
      www.scrum-breakfast .com