Re: Confusion about Scrum

  • paul_hepworth_2000
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 2, 2010
      > I don't want to fan the flames any more, but a quick Google search brought up a Forrester
      > blog entry with the information about Scrum usage which Ken cited. I don't want to
      > comment on it, but I thought if people were interested they could see the data themselves
      > at http://bit.ly/8ACF3g
      >
      > - Bob -

      This post/research paper, which includes the "methodologies in use" graph was used by Jeff Sutherland at the keynote Scrum Gathering in Munich. We had a laugh led by Jeff about the high percentage of Scrumbut that must be resulting from the high percentage of Scrum usage and the lower percentage of iterative development.

      The more I think about Ken's original post the more I realize that Ken is only making it clear that there is a standalone Scrum and that it is not an umbrella of ale cart agile methodologies. I guess I won't read into it further.

      Paul
    • Rafael Sabbagh
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 29 3:22 PM
        > We had a very long thread about this last December, I believe.

        I unfortunately lost a lot of threads the last few months due to my Master's dissertation. I'm glad it's almost over! :)

        > One reason is that industry doesn't pay for the research, so it doesn't get done. There's a big gap between the universities and industry.

        True. We're trying to make this gap smaller here in Brazil (when it comes to Agile methodologies at least), but it's very, very hard.

        > Let's face it. Industry is cheap. They're always looking for the results of the research, but they don't want to pay for it. :-)

        Yep. But I don't think the industry is the only part interested on research results. We, as active people at the Scrum/Agile community, should be very interested on that.Well, I believe PMI puts some effort on research that justifies their beliefs, right? Maybe the ScrumAlliance and Scrum.org could do that too.

        Best,
           Rafael Sabbagh

        On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 17:59, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:

        We had a very long thread about this last December, I believe.

        One reason is that industry doesn't pay for the research, so it doesn't get done. There's a big gap between the universities and industry.

        Let's face it. Industry is cheap. They're always looking for the results of the research, but they don't want to pay for it. :-)

        Mark