Re: [!! SPAM] Re: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: User Stories business value and GWT

  • Dan Rawsthorne
    Message 1 of 209 , Jan 2, 2010
      I agree with what you say about Mike's discussion below. That is not a
      reasonable story, assuming that the Product Owner doesn't doesn't think
      it is. But I disagree that discussion of stories (as separate from user
      stories) is nowhere in the literature. I have been discussing it at
      conferences for more than five years, so there are instances out there.
      And, when my book's finally done, there will be a discussion on the
      concept out there. And, you're exactly right about the people that will
      be confused. I wish to crisp up the language, not diffuse it. Words are
      extremely important to me, and it is very confusing when you say that
      the word "user" as a modifier isn't actually modifying anything... I
      have a tough time watching stakeholders trying to describe how that
      thing they want has actual "user" value, when it's actually value to
      sales, or marketing, the team, or somebody else. It's sad... in my
      experience the stakeholders either have to believe that "user" doesn't
      actually mean anything, or that it means somebody other than the "user".
      Confusing to my teams. Hence the word "story".

      Anyway, just one more thing to argue about, like I said.

      Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, CST
      Senior Coach, Danube Technologies
      dan@..., 425-269-8628

    • Steve Ropa
      Message 209 of 209 , Jan 15, 2010
        Ok, so you were either spying on my teams, or this problem is WAY to
        prevalent. I've been a manager of dev teams for a fairly long time now, and
        I have always hated the phrase stretch goals. I ask my teams to set
        realistic goals that I can count on. I'll do everything I can to help them
        meet those goals. That was one of the reasons I got on the Agile bandwagon
        to begin with. As teams become more comfortable, their velocity sometimes
        does creep up a little. But more importantly, as they don't feel rushed to
        just fill someone's arbitrary view of how much should get done, they produce
        some really high quality stuff. They also feel more comfortable
        experimenting with new things, and applying the creative aspect of the job,
        not just the technical.