Re: Confusion about Scrum

  • Andre
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 1, 2010
      I just reviewed both Scrum guides. I didn't go through them with a "fine tooth comb", but I think I captured what the differences are.

      The main difference is the the Scrum.org version has the following paragraph in the "Release Planning" section, while the Scrum Alliance version does not:

      **
      Release planning is entirely optional. If Scrum teams start work without the meeting, the absence of its artifacts will become apparent as an impediment that needs to be resolved. Work to resolve the impediment will become an item in the Product Backlog.
      **

      In addition, the "Final Thoughts" section on the Scrum.org version is a "Tip" at the end of the Scrum Alliance version. There are also some verbiage differences, but they are saying the same thing.

      This is in line with my understanding of Scrum. When I learned it years ago, release planning was never a requirement. I think it is appropriate that it is called out as being optional in Ken's version. However, I'm not sure if I would call the Scrum Alliance version "incorrect", at least from my quick scan. I suppose that you could argue that since the Scrum Alliance version does not "say" that release planning is required, that you would assume that it is. However, both guides talk about burn up and burn down charts. I may have missed it, but I don't believe it states in either guide whether they are optional or not. I believe burn up/burn down charts are optional, yes? Of course, you should have these charts, but if you don't does that mean that you are not doing Scrum?

      Now, here's where I'm concerned. I'm leading the project management group where I work. I'm bringing in agile and lean practices slowly but surely to the organization. The PM group is primarily comprised of PMBOK-ians. Most are used to very clear definitions that are managed by a mature organization (PMI) that's been around for years. There are other members of the team that are relatively new to project leadership in general. All of them also have been recently certified in Scrum...so they are all very excited about changing to a better way to deliver value.

      I almost sent the first email from Ken to the group, since I'd like them to become more engaged members of the community and be in tune with what's going on. Just before I clicked send I stopped. I realized that if I sent this to them, it would probably do more harm than good. This division is harmful to the Scrum brand and the certification. I'm pretty confident that I'd get some questions like "Does my certification mean anything anymore?". I'm sure they'd also be confused as to where to go for the "source" of information on Scrum. It's awkward to say "yeah, you're certified by the Scrum Alliance, but their definition of Scrum is wrong...so you'll have to go to scrum.org to get the real stuff".

      So, I'm not really sure what to tell the team about this....

      Thanks,

      Andre Simones

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "paul_hepworth_2000" <paul@...> wrote:

      > Happy New Year to all of you as well. I hope 2010 will be a good year for all of us.
      >
      > > I second Tobias in my hopes that you (Ken and Jeff) are able to resolve your differences
      > > with the ScrumAlliance and continue to provide the world with one and only one definition
      > > of what Scrum is.
      >
      > I may have missed something along the process of healthy debate. I know that there were some disagreements between ScrumAlliance and Ken, but I never heard any details about what they were.
      >
      > In general, I agree that their should be a definition of Scrum, but outside of how its defined, what are the "differences" between Scrum.org and ScrumAlliance, etc? I would hope that these discussions would get more specific about where they disagree/differ and work through the disagreements in an open manner. Its likely that the disagreements lay outside of the core of Scrum as Tobias pointed out earlier.
      >
      > Lets avoid the the "sect" breakup akin to Christianity and spend our efforts agreeing on principles and a common denominator of Scrum foundations and practices.
      >
      > The last thing we need is two groups claiming to be "right" and both of them discrediting the other. In the end its not about Scrum, its about communication and effectiveness, and the ongoing contention will only bring a greater lack of of trust and appreciation for any formal group that claims to be the one true source.
      >
      > I realize that its easier for me to be critical since I am not in a position to influence any of this outside of what practices we use on my projects with my teams, but I hope I am making my opinion clear in all of this.
      >
      > Paul

    • Rafael Sabbagh
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 29, 2010
        > We had a very long thread about this last December, I believe.

        I unfortunately lost a lot of threads the last few months due to my Master's dissertation. I'm glad it's almost over! :)

        > One reason is that industry doesn't pay for the research, so it doesn't get done. There's a big gap between the universities and industry.

        True. We're trying to make this gap smaller here in Brazil (when it comes to Agile methodologies at least), but it's very, very hard.

        > Let's face it. Industry is cheap. They're always looking for the results of the research, but they don't want to pay for it. :-)

        Yep. But I don't think the industry is the only part interested on research results. We, as active people at the Scrum/Agile community, should be very interested on that.Well, I believe PMI puts some effort on research that justifies their beliefs, right? Maybe the ScrumAlliance and Scrum.org could do that too.

        Best,
           Rafael Sabbagh

        On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 17:59, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:

        We had a very long thread about this last December, I believe.

        One reason is that industry doesn't pay for the research, so it doesn't get done. There's a big gap between the universities and industry.

        Let's face it. Industry is cheap. They're always looking for the results of the research, but they don't want to pay for it. :-)

        Mark