Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Confusion about Scrum

  • Peter Stevens (calendar)
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 1, 2010
      On 01.01.10 07:59, Saloon12yrd wrote:

      I see your desire to keep your intellectual property yours and I also agree with you that it is important to have one (!) formal definition of what Scrum is.

      ,_._,___

      That's actually a very interesting question (IMHO): whose intellectual property is Scrum? Ken & Jeff created Scrum. If you want to certify ScrumMasters (with the (r) applied), you must be a ScrumAlliance Certified Scrum Trainer.  If you want to use Scrum, you don't need any blessing at all.

      I would have thought that in founding the Scrum Alliance, that was also passing the guardianship of Scrum to the Alliance. Was that no so?

      Best wishes for the New Year, everyone!

      Peter(S)

      --
      Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
      www.scrum-breakfast.com

    • Rafael Sabbagh
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 29 3:22 PM
        > We had a very long thread about this last December, I believe.

        I unfortunately lost a lot of threads the last few months due to my Master's dissertation. I'm glad it's almost over! :)

        > One reason is that industry doesn't pay for the research, so it doesn't get done. There's a big gap between the universities and industry.

        True. We're trying to make this gap smaller here in Brazil (when it comes to Agile methodologies at least), but it's very, very hard.

        > Let's face it. Industry is cheap. They're always looking for the results of the research, but they don't want to pay for it. :-)

        Yep. But I don't think the industry is the only part interested on research results. We, as active people at the Scrum/Agile community, should be very interested on that.Well, I believe PMI puts some effort on research that justifies their beliefs, right? Maybe the ScrumAlliance and Scrum.org could do that too.

        Best,
           Rafael Sabbagh

        On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 17:59, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:

        We had a very long thread about this last December, I believe.

        One reason is that industry doesn't pay for the research, so it doesn't get done. There's a big gap between the universities and industry.

        Let's face it. Industry is cheap. They're always looking for the results of the research, but they don't want to pay for it. :-)

        Mark