RE: [scrumdevelopment] Resarch on Globelly distributed Scrum

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 64 , Dec 25, 2009
    I know I said I'm going on holidays and won't participate in this discussion further, but I couldn't help taking a lst minute look. This time I will take up the comment from Malcolm that "This is why I believe that we need to be focusing our message more on the owners of businesses than on developers and mid level managers."

    As strange coincidence would have it, that is precisely what I have done. See the attached paper. The ICBMS conference is International Management and Information Sciences Conference, and another paper in a similar vain presented at the International Conference on e-Business, both heavily oriented towards precisely those folk you refer to ... owners of businesses and mid-level managers.

    And, I must say I do not take these discussions personally  I judge them by the logic of the argument and the evidence supporting the facts ... not whether it is agreeable to me or not.

    Regards,
    Roy Morien

    To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
    From: malcolm.b.anderson@...
    Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 21:18:33 -0600
    Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Resarch on Globelly distributed Scrum

    On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com> wrote:

    there is the implication that all good things come from consultants and practitioners,  who by their very nature are a fount of wisdom and useful stuff, all of them!

    Not intended.  I vividly remember "CASE Tools", nuff said.

    But, having said all that, I do agree that many academics just do not get it ... but probably a lesser proportion of that population than consultants and practitioners who just do not get it either.

    I really think my biggest issue with Academia is what (I think) it is teaching non-developers.   From what I understand, the waterfall (with out the jumping salmon feedback loops), is still being taught to business majors.  Business majors who will be CEOs 40 years from now.  This is why I believe that we need to be focusing our message more on the owners of businesses than on developers and mid level managers.

    Malcolm

    Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK
    Message 64 of 64 , Dec 26, 2009
      Hello, jamesjhawkins. On Thursday, December 24, 2009, at 10:29:36
      AM, you wrote:

      > It's commercially damaging to Agile to say that it can only be
      > adopted when the team is all in one place. It's also untrue, in my opinion.

      I don't think anyone says Agile can /only/ be adopted with
      collocation: most of us know of counterexamples.

      However, an attempt at Agile is /much/ more likely to founder when
      done distributed, because human communication is such a critical
      aspect of Agile.

      I would expect that blessing distributed Agile adoption would result
      in disproportionately more failures and that it would be more
      damaging than telling people the truth, which is that their chances
      are much better if they work collocated.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      Curiosity is more powerful than skepticism.