RE: [scrumdevelopment] Resarch on Globelly distributed Scrum

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 64 , Dec 24, 2009
      I think we agreed some emails back (about GAAP and software development costing) that the accountung profession is 20 years behind.

      And I really do think you are giving that basic education far far too much importance, if you think that in 40 years time the CEO ex-graduate will still be influenced by it.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: malcolm.b.anderson@...
      Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 21:18:33 -0600
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Resarch on Globelly distributed Scrum

      On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com> wrote:

      there is the implication that all good things come from consultants and practitioners,  who by their very nature are a fount of wisdom and useful stuff, all of them!

      Not intended.  I vividly remember "CASE Tools", nuff said.

      But, having said all that, I do agree that many academics just do not get it ... but probably a lesser proportion of that population than consultants and practitioners who just do not get it either.

      I really think my biggest issue with Academia is what (I think) it is teaching non-developers.   From what I understand, the waterfall (with out the jumping salmon feedback loops), is still being taught to business majors.  Business majors who will be CEOs 40 years from now.  This is why I believe that we need to be focusing our message more on the owners of businesses than on developers and mid level managers.

      Malcolm

      Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK
      Message 64 of 64 , Dec 26, 2009
        Hello, jamesjhawkins. On Thursday, December 24, 2009, at 10:29:36
        AM, you wrote:

        > It's commercially damaging to Agile to say that it can only be
        > adopted when the team is all in one place. It's also untrue, in my opinion.

        I don't think anyone says Agile can /only/ be adopted with
        collocation: most of us know of counterexamples.

        However, an attempt at Agile is /much/ more likely to founder when
        done distributed, because human communication is such a critical
        aspect of Agile.

        I would expect that blessing distributed Agile adoption would result
        in disproportionately more failures and that it would be more
        damaging than telling people the truth, which is that their chances
        are much better if they work collocated.

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Curiosity is more powerful than skepticism.