RE: [scrumdevelopment] Introducing Patterns into Organizations

  • David A Barrett
    Message 1 of 67 , Sep 1, 2004
      >Yeah, but if I order it from the UK Amazon, I'll probably get a copy full
      of
      >misspellings--all those extra "u" characters in words like "colour" and
      >such. :)
      >
      >--Mike Cohn

      Hmppph! Misspellings are all in the eye of the beholder.

      Up here in the Great White North, we have the distinction of spelling
      things the proper way, yet being swamped by printed content originating in
      the U.S. and, of course, containing their simplified spellings
      (misspellings) of many words.

      Particularly galling is the word "cheque", which for some reason the
      Americans insist on spelling "check". I wonder, is the "qu" in the middle
      of the word too difficult to pronounce? When I see the American spelling
      it always brings my reading to a complete stop, the difference is so
      jarring. Its gotten now the point where I even get jolted when I see
      "check" used properly (as in "to check on something").

      So as a special favour to me, would all 300 million of you please, please
      start to add in those u's where they belong? If that's too much, how about
      trying out "cheque" for a while? Eh!

      Dave Barrett,
      Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company
    • Mike Dwyer
      Message 67 of 67 , Sep 6, 2004
        All of us interested in a PMI interface might find this worth reading.
        http://www.vtt.fi/rte/ce/yhteystiedot/laurisdocuments/obsoletetheory.pdf

        It is a presentation done by
        Koskela, Lauri & Howell, Greg at the
        Proceedings of PMI Research Conference 2002 Ed. by Dennis P. Slevin, David I
        Cleland, Jeffrey K. Pinto. Project Management Institute.

        BTW MikeV. Does this help with your research? Do you have any other
        articles from within the PMI archives that you could share on this topic?

        Michael F. Dwyer

        Mike.Dwyer1@...
        978 683 3439