Re: [scrumdevelopment] Don't Manage to Methods

  • Heitor Roriz Filho
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi Tobias,

      nicely put. Steven Covey also promotes a workshop regarding his audio book, which is quite interesting. If we stop and try to have some insight, we will find out that we are living an interesting moment. Both for Software Engineers and Executives.

      Software Engineering is being somehow affected by the new Agile way of development. The Agil mindset is affecting the way executives use to manage people and their business. Maybe Agile was somehow affected by an already existing crescendo in management and behavioral sciences?

      We Scrummers are part of something bigger indeed. As the Brazilian Carlos Ghosn says: "An effective manager gets results. A great manager writes a new story" - I guess we are writing a new story, day after day.

      Heitor

      On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:58 AM, tobias.mayer <scrum@...> wrote:

      I came across this statement in a Steven R. Covey audio book that I downloaded for free at Brussels airport: Seven Habits for Managers

      Don't Manage to Methods:
      "You don't really manage people -- they manage themselves, using the criteria you have developed together, and if you are emotionally connected to those criteria (truly win-win) then those criteria manage people and you become a servant leader to remove obstacles and facilitate them in whichever way you can"

      It reminded me that Scrum is part of something much bigger than Scrum.  The business world is undergoing a true paradigm shift.  Scrum is a small, but important part of that.  This thought offers hope.

      Tobias