Re: [scrumdevelopment] Two product owners?

  • Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
      Hi Zvonimir,

      I'm familiar with a situation like this at a small company that makes
      medical devices. They only have about 6 developers in the company and a
      couple testers. So there is one agile dev team for all of their
      products. I don't recall the number of products they have but it's more
      than ten. So how do they manage this?

      The company's execs and CEO manage the portfolio of active products.
      In a given iteration maybe work will happen for only 2 or 3 products.
      Those product managers whose products are dormant accept this because
      they won't have to go justify to higher powers why nothing's happening:
      the CEO ok'd it. Without that senior involvement, the product managers
      would feel forced to engage in destructive competition with each other,
      and they'd be pulling the developers in many directions.

      The answer to your question of 2 product owners is another question:
      who sets the priority when they each "need" to go in opposite
      directions? There has to be a larger framework that they are operating
      within, or it'll become dysfunctional. If you follow this to its logical
      conclusion you'll see that the company (or division at least) needs to
      be using lean portfolio management for all its projects.

      - njv

      zvonimir.kriz wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > We're looking to establish a new Scrum team in our organization. A situation is that we have two applications with a huge amount of shared source code (services), but with two different business departments responsible each for one application.
      > Because of a large portion of reused code, it seems to us that it makes sense to form one team. But because of devided business application ownership, we're forced to have two Product owners.
      > Does somebody have some expirience having more than one Product owner to share it with us?
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Zvonimir

      Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.

      781 301 1822 US mobile
      nancyv@...

      http://www.leanagilepartners.com

      Specialties: Agile coaching for Embedded Systems, for Data Migrations,
      and for leadership of Lean-Agile change organization wide