Unnecessary Management Interfere

  • tarun
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
      How management interfere with the progress of Scrum Team? OR What could be the possible scenarios in which management interfere with the team unnecessary?
      I could think of some reasons for unnecessary management interfere but that too in context of general project management. In context of Scrum, please give me some points which excels my knowledge.

      Thanks
    • Malcolm Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
        Tarun

        There are an infinite number of scenarios where management could needlessly interfere with the developers.  Most of them are true horror stories.

        What caused you to ask the question.  Are you trying to preemptively counter management interference, or is there something else?

        Thanks

        Malcolm

        On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM, tarun <tarun_topper@...> wrote:

        How management interfere with the progress of Scrum Team? OR What could be the possible scenarios in which management interfere with the team unnecessary?
        I could think of some reasons for unnecessary management interfere but that too in context of general project management. In context of Scrum, please give me some points which excels my knowledge.

        Thanks

      • thierry henrio
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
          Hello Tarun

          On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM, tarun <tarun_topper@...> wrote:

          How management interfere with the progress of Scrum Team? OR What could be the possible scenarios in which management interfere with the team unnecessary?

          I recommend you "go and see" : watch team working
          If you can not watch team working, then listen to break in team activities : phone call and change of mood, 'manager' talking to someone ...

          My point here is to sort valuable and non valuable activity, you have to actually watch them happen
          If you find out every thing is fine, then it is time for congratulation when this feeling is shared

          You can also detect them at daily stand up (could not do this, because XXX told me to work on his demo for ...)
          It is even easier when people do make activities visual (task board / red tape on task, ...)
          And then it is late, but at least you can 'metrics' / data

          Cheers, Thierry
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
            Tarun,

            As Malcomm there are just so many.

            * A Manager who insists on assigning User Stories or Tasks to team members
            * A Manager who insists on attending Code Review Meetings so they can load up for performance review beatings
            * A Manager who insists on being a "Chicken" at the Daily Scrums because he "owns" the team
            * A Manager who overrides the Customer/Product Owner because he/she wants something in the product

            These are just a few...

            Dave

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "tarun" <tarun_topper@...> wrote:

            > How management interfere with the progress of Scrum Team? OR What could be the possible scenarios in which management interfere with the team unnecessary?
            > I could think of some reasons for unnecessary management interfere but that too in context of general project management. In context of Scrum, please give me some points which excels my knowledge.
            >
            > Thanks

          • Malcolm Anderson
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
              Dave you hit the nail on the head.    <sings> these are a few of my favorite things.

              Tarun, assuming that you are running into any of these you have a few options.

              1) Get advice from the company's Scrum Champion (hopefully up at the CxO level) on how to best deal with this manager.

              2) Find out what the manager needs for his next promotion (Scrum can be a career impediment to those who don't understand how it works, but that's a whole different thread) and help them get that promotion.

              3) Get the manager to a CSM or CPO class.

              4) Go work for a different company that is actually committed to the hard work that Scrum is.

              Option 1 and 2 are usually the best choices IMHO

              Here's an open ended question to the community, can you be an effective scrum master if option number 4 is not viable for you?

              Malcolm