Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Agile Career path

  • Ted Young
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 26, 2009
      I'd like to correct Peter's out-of-date information. Guidewire may have been "Scrum-like" but as of Feb. 2007 when I joined, they were not Scrum, nor were they doing Scrum. They were doing some of the practices, but it was not Scrum. Also, as to be expected, Guidewire has had people leave (including very early employees), mainly because they've been doing it for many years and wanted a change.

      It is very true that titles are not at all important to the folks that work at Guidewire -- there's no "ladder" to climb, just more challenging work and responsibility, if that's what you want.

      ;ted
      --
      Dev Mgr and Agile Coach
      BillingCenter Team, Guidewire Software

      On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Peter Stevens (calendar) <peterstev@...> wrote:

      Hi Aleksey,

      A hierarchy is not the most effective organizational form, just the easiest to establish and maintain.  We see forms of it in among animals. It's been with humans for thousands of years. Think of the hierarchy of Armies, Nobility or modern corporations. Think dynamic stability. A hierarchy is a dynamically stable organizational form.

      Agile can/should be higher performance, but is not dynamically stable. It needs active feedback, drive, vision and energy from the people driving the company to remain active and viable. Think spinning plates on stick. They'll stay up there, as long as someone keeps the plates rotating.

      A side effect of heirachy is the concept of climbing the ladder. Agile does not define a hierarchal structure, so there is no career path.

      An example of agile company, is Guidewire, the supplier of standard software for the insurance industry. They did Scrum from word go. Only the 5 Product Owners were stable. Every other role could rotate, and did every sprint. Interesting side effect: the people who worked there loved the place, and never left.

      Cheers,

      Peter

      On 24.11.09 17:02, Aleksey Dmitriyev wrote:

      What if we reverse your question and ask why the corporations insist on having different roles and even a hierarchy? What should an ideal or even utopian organization look like? Practically, even the most agile companies like Rally software have roles, and even a hierarchy.

      --Aleksey

      -

      --
      Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP