RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum masters & stand ups

  • Archer, Jonathan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2009

      Hi Roy,

      I see what you’re saying, and indeed Ron’s original answer is exactly the type I might give myself to many questions of the form “how should I do X?” or “when should I do Y?” I’m a big advocate of continuous learning too and I think you make some sound points about the need for a mindset that is prepared to enquire about things independently rather than becoming depending on others. (Incidentally you sound like you might get some good future use out of http://lmgtfy.com/ if you’re frequently consulted with questions with answers which are but a google search away ;-)

      But I see “how have people found Z?” to be a different class of question that might have started an interesting discussion on shared experiences. I’m not looking for an answer about what I *should* do. I’m already onto what to do there and don’t really need help figuring that out. Just the topic piqued my curiosity as I was listening in via phone to a one of my teams daily stand ups and mulling over some feedback I’d gotten about how “we’re not really sure how our scrum master spends the day”…got me wondering twas all. I know I could have googled and probably found plenty of blog postings on this…but I was interested in something a bit more conversational is all.

      Cheers,

      Jon

      From: ronjeffries@ acm.org
      Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:54:12 -0500

      Hello, Jonathan. On Wednesday, November 25, 2009, at 9:40:39 AM,
      you wrote:

      > Do folks find it beneficial or not for the scrum master to answer the
      > "three questions" type stuff at standups?

      Try it. See if YOU find it beneficial.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming. com
      www.xprogramming. com/blog
      No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...

      Check out The Great Australian Pay Check now Want to know what your boss is paid?