Release Management

  • jamesjhawkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2009
      Hello all

      I'd be interested to hear what the experienced people in this group are doing about release management. Specifically...

      Who does Release Management in your Agile regime?

      One view is that it is the Product Owner (PO). But, where I work, POs are more analytical and facing towards the Scrum team. In that case, should it be somebody like a sponsor? That doesn't seem quite right either, since a sponsor is too upward looking, in my opinion. Sponsors are for strategy.

      Some background: We have a client-NOC-connector type of architecture, which is deployed for a number of service operators.  I think one function of release management will be to say which builds of software could go into production.

      Cheers, Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2009
        Hello, jamesjhawkins. On Thursday, November 26, 2009, at 5:09:35
        AM, you wrote:

        > I'd be interested to hear what the experienced people in this group are
        > doing about release management. Specifically...

        > Who does Release Management in your Agile regime?

        What does "Release Management" mean to you? What are the main
        "stories" that go into [Managing] a Release?

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Don't confuse more exact with better. -- Brian Marick
      • jamesjhawkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 26, 2009
          Sorry about this...
          Everywhere I put "Release Management" I should have put "Release Planning", which is the common term in Agile, I believe

          Anyway, as to what it is, I see there being two main parts:

          1. Suppose there are a number of product backlogs (PBLs).  There has to be some co-ordination between them. This was discussed in another thread already. Some people favoured a Scrum-of-scrums, others a Super Product Owner r
          ôle. I think there's no need to discuss that again.

          2. Any end of sprint build may be a candidate for deployment into production (for which read: being published or being made available to end users). How does an organisation decide which candidates to deploy?

          Cheers, Jim

        • petriheiramo
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 2009
            Hi Jim,

            > Sorry about this...
            > Everywhere I put "Release Management" I should have put "Release
            > Planning", which is the common term in Agile, I believe

            I wouldn't get hooked up with terminology too far. The work that needs to be done is release management. The meeting where release planning and management is being done is being called Release Planning meeting. At least, that's how I see it.

            > 1. Suppose there are a number of product backlogs (PBLs). There has to
            > be some co-ordination between them. This was discussed in another thread
            > already. Some people favoured a Scrum-of-scrums, others a Super Product
            > Owner rôle. I think there's no need to discuss that again.

            Well, no more than that both of those methods are needed IMHO. Higher level PO is needed to manage and balance them in priority, while Scrum of Scrums is the counterpart in that discussion from the development side.

            > 2. Any end of sprint build may be a candidate for deployment into
            > production (for which read: being published or being made available to
            > end users). How does an organisation decide which candidates to deploy?

            Usually in advance, through the release planning activity. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that some release is deployable. It should be planned to be one. The phase "potentially shippable" primarily focuses on the technical quality; it doesn't imply that the feature set should be potentially shippable at that point.

            That excludes situations where the need to deploy the build comes up unexpectedly during the iteration.

            Yours Sincerely,

            Petri

            ---
            Petri Heiramo
            Process Development Manager, Agile Coach (CST)
            Digia Plc., Finland
          • jamesjhawkins
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 26, 2009
              Thanks Petri,

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "petriheiramo"
              <petri.heiramo@...> wrote:
              > I wouldn't get hooked up with terminology too far. The work that needs
              to be done is release management. The meeting where release planning and
              management is being done is being called Release Planning meeting.

              So, who goes to the Release Planning meeting, please?
              Also, how often does this meeting take place? Is it potentially after
              every sprint?

              Cheers, Jim
            • Joao Eduardo Hornburg
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 27, 2009
                We do Release Planning every 3 sprints. The whole team participates.

                João E. Hornburg