  • Bollapalli Venkata Subbarao
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 24, 2009
      Hello

      I am  new to SCRUM and wonder if there is a tool that  is integrated with MS project.

      or any one can suggest how to  implement SCRUM using MS Project 2007/ EPM 2007 Server?

      thanks  in anticipation

      Regards
      B.V. Subbarao, PMP

    • Alan Dayley
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 24, 2009
        Scrum is about people and their interactions, not tools. People
        implement Scrum, tools do not. While MS Project could be used to help
        track the information used by a team practicing Scrum, it cannot be
        used to implement Scrum.

        Use note cards and sticky notes on a wall. Especially when just
        starting out it is important that you and the team be as close to the
        framework as possible. The data must be highly visible and tangibly
        present. The team needs to have reason to be present with each other
        to learn collaboration. The best way to accomplish these things is
        with paper and hand written words.

        I suggest you look at the excellent book "Scrum and XP From the
        Trenches" http://www.infoq.com/minibooks/scrum-xp-from-the-trenches
        as an example starting point.

        Once you understand how Scrum works for your team and situation by
        doing it manually, then you can assess what tools, if any, provide
        help instead of preventing learning or hiding impediments.

        Alan

        On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Bollapalli Venkata Subbarao
        <subbubv@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > I am  new to SCRUM and wonder if there is a tool that  is integrated with MS project.
        >
        > or any one can suggest how to  implement SCRUM using MS Project 2007/ EPM 2007 Server?
        >
        > thanks  in anticipation
        >
        > Regards
        > B.V. Subbarao, PMP

      • Ilja Preuß
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 24, 2009
          + VERY_LARGE_CONSTANT!

          2009/11/24 Alan Dayley <alandd@...>:
          > Scrum is about people and their interactions, not tools.  People
          > implement Scrum, tools do not.  While MS Project could be used to help
          > track the information used by a team practicing Scrum, it cannot be
          > used to implement Scrum.
          >
          > Use note cards and sticky notes on a wall.  Especially when just
          > starting out it is important that you and the team be as close to the
          > framework as possible.  The data must be highly visible and tangibly
          > present.  The team needs to have reason to be present with each other
          > to learn collaboration.  The best way to accomplish these things is
          > with paper and hand written words.
          >
          > I suggest you look at the excellent book "Scrum and XP From the
          > Trenches"  http://www.infoq.com/minibooks/scrum-xp-from-the-trenches
          > as an example starting point.
          >
          > Once you understand how Scrum works for your team and situation by
          > doing it manually, then you can assess what tools, if any, provide
          > help instead of preventing learning or hiding impediments.
          >
          > Alan
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Bollapalli Venkata Subbarao
          > <subbubv@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> Hello
          >>
          >> I am  new to SCRUM and wonder if there is a tool that  is integrated with MS project.
          >>
          >> or any one can suggest how to  implement SCRUM using MS Project 2007/ EPM 2007 Server?
          >>
          >> thanks  in anticipation
          >>
          >> Regards
          >> B.V. Subbarao, PMP

        • JackM
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 24, 2009
            So firstly theres the debate on tools vs no tools. Which you should consider seriously. No tools option is recommended by most if not all agile coaches and thought leaders. So index cards, burndown charts on the wall is the best way to go especially if you're starting out.

            Now getting to your original question ...

            Integrating with MS Project (even if there is such an option) is a really bad idea. MS Project is the antithesis of Agile and promotes time tracking and timelines, and dependencies etc. Not a very good way to track projects the agile way.

            There are many good tools out there. There's our own Agilebuddy newest on the block, there's the two leaders in the space Version One and Rallydev, there's scrum works pro, mingle and many others.I don't think any of them integrate well if at all with MS Project

            Hope this helps
            Jack
            www.agilebuddy.com
            blog.agilebuddy.com
            twitter.com/agilebuddy

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bollapalli Venkata Subbarao <subbubv@...> wrote:

            > Hello
            >
            > I am� new to SCRUM and wonder if there is a tool that� is integrated with MS project.
            >
            > or any one can suggest how to� implement�SCRUM using MS Project 2007/ EPM 2007 Server?
            >
            > thanks� in anticipation
            > �Regards
            > B.V. Subbarao, PMP

          • craig_w_brown
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 24, 2009
              I am with the crew who say manage the work using the low tech tools.

              I have had to provide MS project files showing the project 'plan' a couple of times.

              What I have done when generating the MS proejct file is get the product backlog (and the product done list) and paste them into MS Project via Excel.

              Some things that I included;

              Work item: Requirements title
              Start date - Sprint start date
              End date - Sprint end date
              - Estimated sprint, based on velocity/story points
              Resources - the team doing the work (or could have been the list of individuals on the team)

              I don't manage an MS project file on an ongoing basis as it takes too much time for too little value.

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bollapalli Venkata Subbarao <subbubv@...> wrote:

              > Hello
              >
              > I am  new to SCRUM and wonder if there is a tool that  is integrated with MS project.
              >
              > or any one can suggest how to  implement SCRUM using MS Project 2007/ EPM 2007 Server?
              >
              > thanks  in anticipation
              >  Regards
              > B.V. Subbarao, PMP

            • Roy Morien
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 24, 2009
                I teach IT ... I am currently teaching "Software Engineering" and "Project Management". I am tryng to teach agile methods and agile project management.

                The problem I seem to have is that I can't seem to find enough 'agile stuff' to fll the whole semester. Of course, if I went into the finer details about Scrum and the implications of collaboration and iteration and pair programming and etc. I guess I could have enough.

                But my point is, that Scrum, at an overview level, is actually quite simple. The role of the Project Manager in estimating,planning, controlling, using MS Project, Gantt Charts, Pert Charts, Function Point Analysis etc etc etc are no longer the 'must learns'. It sems that project management and software engineering are much more closely aligned in an agile approach, primarilly because what you do and how you do it is closely aligned. In the traditional project management approach, you can rabbit on forever about the role of the project manager without really once talking about software engineering stuff, and vice versa .

                It is the 'simplicity' of Scrum, and other agile methods I guess, that makes Scrum difficult to comprehend by students and 'newbies'. As a colleague of mine said to me "I don't understand this agile stuff ... it seems too simple'.

                I think this discussion about tools vs no tools is indicative of this situation. I remember learning Project Management using Prince, and a big part of the subject was actually learning MS Project, and learning about Gnnt Charts and Pert. I also had to spend a lot of time learning about Function Point Analysis and various other estimating techniques, all of which were quite complicated ... and useless (if my Masters research into software project estimating revealed anything to go by).

                So lets make a virtue of the simplicity of Scrum et al, and spend more time thinkin about how best to apply it, and so need less time to learn the intricacies of it. I have a theory that the more complex a methodology is,and the more time needed to learn it, the less useful it is. I always smile cynically when I see advertisements asking for people experienced in PM method X. It is the knowledg of the mathod that is imporant, not the success rate of using it that seems to be important.

                Regards,
                Roy Morien

                To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                From: jack@...
                Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:38:29 +0000
                Subject: [scrumdevelopment] ms project

                So firstly theres the debate on tools vs no tools. Which you should consider seriously. No tools option is recommended by most if not all agile coaches and thought leaders. So index cards, burndown charts on the wall is the best way to go especially if you're starting out.

                Now getting to your original question ...

                Integrating with MS Project (even if there is such an option) is a really bad idea. MS Project is the antithesis of Agile and promotes time tracking and timelines, and dependencies etc. Not a very good way to track projects the agile way.

                There are many good tools out there. There's our own Agilebuddy newest on the block, there's the two leaders in the space Version One and Rallydev, there's scrum works pro, mingle and many others.I don't think any of them integrate well if at all with MS Project

                Hope this helps
                Jack
                www.agilebuddy. com
                blog.agilebuddy. com
                twitter.com/ agilebuddy

                --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, Bollapalli Venkata Subbarao <subbubv@... > wrote:

                > Hello
                >
                > I am� new to SCRUM and wonder if there is a tool that� is integrated with MS project.
                >
                > or any one can suggest how to� implement�SCRUM using MS Project 2007/ EPM 2007 Server?
                >
                > thanks� in anticipation
                > �Regards
                > B.V. Subbarao, PMP

                View photos of singles in your area! Looking for a date?
              • Jack Milunsky

                  From: jack@...
                  Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:38:29 +0000

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 24, 2009
                    Yes, I agree.

                    :) But I also have a little problem of language ... my Thai ain't much, and their English is very little. There is not a lot of stuff translated into Thai ... but we try :)

                    Roy

                    To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

                    From: jack@brightspark3. com
                    Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:38:29 +0000

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 24, 2009
                      Roy

                      Take a look at some of the content in these slide decks.
                      http://www.slideshare.net/craigwbrown

                      There is some tradtional pm process stuff in there, but also lots on peple working with people.

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Jack Milunsky <jack@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > and timelines, and dependencies etc. Not a very good way to track projects
                      > > the agile way.
                      > >
                      > > There are many good tools out there. There's our own Agilebuddy newest on
                      > > the block, there's the two leaders in the space Version One and Rallydev,
                      > > there's scrum works pro, mingle and many others.I don't think any of them
                      > > integrate well if at all with MS Project
                      > >
                      > > Hope this helps
                      > > Jack
                      > > www.agilebuddy.com
                      > > blog.agilebuddy.com
                      > > twitter.com/agilebuddy
                      > >
                      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bollapalli Venkata Subbarao
                      > > <subbubv@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hello
                      > > >
                      > > > I am� new to SCRUM and wonder if there is a tool that� is integrated
                      > > with MS project.
                      > > >
                      > > > or any one can suggest how to� implement�SCRUM using MS Project 2007/

                    • Ilja Preuß
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 25, 2009
                        Thanks for inspiring me to write a blog :)

                        please, stop telling people that Agilists advice against the use of
                        tools: http://iljapreuss.blogspot.com/2009/11/index-cards-are-tools-too.html

                        Cheers, Ilja

                        2009/11/24 JackM <jack@...>:

                        > So firstly theres the debate on tools vs no tools. Which you should consider seriously. No tools option is recommended by most if not all agile coaches and thought leaders. So index cards, burndown charts on the wall is the best way to go especially if you're starting out.
                        >
                        > Now getting to your original question ...
                        >
                        > Integrating with MS Project (even if there is such an option) is a really bad idea. MS Project is the antithesis of Agile and promotes time tracking and timelines, and dependencies etc. Not a very good way to track projects the agile way.
                        >
                        > There are many good tools out there. There's our own Agilebuddy newest on the block, there's the two leaders in the space Version One and Rallydev, there's scrum works pro, mingle and many others.I don't think any of them integrate well if at all with MS Project
                        >
                        > Hope this helps
                        > Jack
                        > www.agilebuddy.com
                        > blog.agilebuddy.com
                        > twitter.com/agilebuddy
                        >

                        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bollapalli Venkata Subbarao <subbubv@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Hello
                        >>
                        >> I am� new to SCRUM and wonder if there is a tool that� is integrated with MS project.
                        >>
                        >> or any one can suggest how to� implement�SCRUM using MS Project 2007/ EPM 2007 Server?
                        >>
                        >> thanks� in anticipation
                        >> �Regards
                        >> B.V. Subbarao, PMP

                      • Huet Landry
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009

                          Remember, in “Karate Kid”, the student did not understand the value of “wax on, wax off” until he saw it applied in a different context.

                          The simplicity of the motions obscured the value of developing the “muscle memory” needed for real combat.

                          Huet C. Landry, PMP, CSM
                          Sr. IT Consultant
                          Enterprise Information Services, Inc.
                          1951 Kidwell Drive, Suite 400
                          Vienna ,VA22182
                          Phone: (703) 752-5515
                          Fax:     (703) 749-0009
                          Email:  hlandry@...
                          www.goeis.com

                        • faruessel
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 31, 2009
                            Hi,

                            I am working as project manager (and once was PO) in an environment where the projects usually have a lot of dependencies and where the Scrum Teams are usually forces to work on multiple projects in parallel. This is bad but our Scrum Masters are not able to resolve this problem as it is inherent to our organizational structure.

                            As there are a lot of dependencies to other teams and other products we need to create some sort of very high level plan. It usually ends up to be the release plan. Most of the time we are using MS Project to create this plan and to communicate the dependencies.

                            There are usually mile stones with the sprint boundaries and mile stones for required deliverables from other organizational units. Additional there are the mile stones for releases and other entries (tasks/mile stones) bound to these release mile stones that represent themes/epics.

                            I usually don't like to add more details are I know it is going to change. Sometimes I am forced to introduce more details because senior management want to improve the "accuracy" (nice joke!) or the customer needs a detailed plan for approval (budgetary processes are a driver here).

                            However my advice: No time tracking, NO stories (but epics/themes) and no automatic magic by MS Project. Dependencies should be included if the reality is like that and you cant do anything against it. You cant start with something if you are still waiting for input.

                            Another point: I believe electronic tools ARE important in many cases. We are heavily using task boards, cards and all the classic low tech stuff - but we wasted a lot of time because we did not have the data in an Excel sheet while discussing the release planning for overlapping projects and creating several scenarios. Additionally electronic tools are important if you are doing distributed development - another reality in many environments.

                            I like an approach where the stories end up as Jira tasks (or any other flexible issue tracking system), get refined, estimated and these numbers then can be used to do some Excel magic. Same for tracking the velocity of the Scrum team and looking ahead (holidays, availability, trainings). The results are always "false" but you will get an impression what is going on - especially if you are unlucky and have to work in an multi project environment with lots of dependencies ;-(

                            Having said all this I believe that there are tools that offer a MS Project integration. Just do a Google on "scrum ms project" and you will come across some products. I dont like these tightly integrated tools but you may give them a try.

                            Felix

                            http://www.armerkater.de
                            ArmerKater.de – Scrum, Agiles Projektmanagement, Agile Nearshoring, Innovation und Organisation