Re: [scrumdevelopment] Definition of cross-functional teams

  • thierry henrio
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 23, 2009
      Glad to see you curious Hilja !

      On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Ilja Preuß <iljapreuss@...> wrote:

      What does it mean for that definition "to scale"?

      Curious, Ilja

      I'm not sure you wait for clarification on motivation on question or on its answer
      On question side, then ...It was an opened question, and Bas feeled righteously its complexity
      To my mind, an agile team produces value, and required skills depends on 'context'

      When it is software that is actual value to customer, then I'm at first confused to 'marketing' skill bringing value : does it means you have to communicate/investigate on 'something' so that it becomes a value (as in Kano model) or make efforts to sell it ?

      I believe that if you take a stakeholder=PO and team, then you may achieve 'cross functional' as I think Bas said
      And what happens when stakeholder has more end customers and fewer time for team ?
      Should team devote more time to end actual and potential customers (trip, meeting, ...) ?

      So I can not say what 'scaling marketing and engineering' is

      And I think I can say that sometimes, it just does not :
      I just learned that in a ZZZ company, there were 50 people working on a XXX product
      33 of them were commercial, support
      17 of them were dev, and approx 50% were fixing bugs
      This does not scale !
      :)

      Still reflecting,
      Thierry