Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: One Team, Multiple Products

  • Boris Gloger
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
      On 25.08.2004 23:28 Uhr, "Deb" <deborah@...> wrote:

      > - We found this added the need for a "product" column in the Sprint
      > Backlog (ex: for reprioritisation, and at demo time we'd filter on
      > this to prepare for demos to different customer groups, if required).
      >
      > - We had a Customer Priority on the Product Backlog (which was on
      > another tool), but we had to add another column for "Sprint Priority"
      > on the Sprint Backlog, because now we could have multiple #1
      > priorities, but really some were higher than others. Ex: if one
      > customer needs very little from us right now (product is stable),
      > their #3 priority may really be a #99 for the overall Sprint.
      > - Some people advocate just using physical row order to denote
      > priority, which seems to assume that priority runs 1,2,3,4,5...
      > Whereas ours ran like 1,1,2,2,3,4,5,10,10,99,99. We made sure to
      > always put some low priority items in, just in case we hit a
      > "pandora's box" item that bumped some work out. If everything is
      > priority #1, you have nothing to easily bump out. And if priority is
      > not indicated, is the 6th row on the spreadsheet #3, or #5, or #10
      > (i.e. can you drop it without too much hassle or is the customer
      > counting on having it this Sprint?)

      We did, more or less, the same. We had not to organize very big backlogs,
      but on a smaller scale we did proceed in exactly the same way.
      Today we manage a whole organization in this way. Every department, project
      creates its backlog, and then we create based on these backlogs one company
      backlog and a company sprint. It does not work without effort and it could
      be smoother (there is always a possibility for improvement, but it is the
      best way I could find out.

      Boris