Re: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 698

  • David A Barrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2004
      >> Technically, you can't tell the team to make a Gantt
      >> chart, you can't even tell them to organize the work and report it to
      you
      >> so that you can make a Gantt chart.
      >
      >This I don't understand, why can't I expect them to organise their work?
      >
      >> (I'm saying these things like they are
      >> rules, which thery aren't. Obviously you do what you need to do to get
      the
      >> work done; and if one of the things you need to do is to remove the
      >> independance of the team then so be it.)
      >
      >Why is the tea no longer independant if they provide me with a plan?

      The only thing you can expect them to do is to COMPLETE the work (by the
      end of the sprint),
      and show up for the daily Scrums. How they do the work isn't really for
      you to say. They may, for instance, decide to spend 1/2 hour on every
      single item in the Sprint Backlog each day of the Sprint. Put that on a
      Gantt chart!

      Seriously, the idea is for the team to be seriously committed to the idea
      of completing everything on time and then let them figure out how to make
      it happen. You're not really, as Scrum Master, supposed to tell them to
      take this approach or that approach, or divey the tasks up amongst them or
      demand that they provide you with a plan after 2 days or any of that stuff.

      So when you tell them that you need them to supply you with a plan you're
      doing two things. First, you're asking for them to deliver you an artifact
      which isn't part of a deliverable. Second, you're implicitly telling them
      that they have to take an approach to the work which is compatible with how
      you want (need) to report their progress to the rest of the company. In a
      daily Scrum, as a team member, I would be reporting these as "impediments
      to progress"; something the Scrum Master is supposed to clear away, not
      create.

      Dave Barrett,
      Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company