Re: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 693

  • Hubert Smits
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2004
      Hi David,

      On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:20:34 -0400, David A Barrett
      <dave.barrett@...> wrote:

      > From Hubert:
      >
      > >I use it within a sprint, like you say. When you have a 100 or so
      > >people working on a project a backlog does no longer work.
      >
      > I would say that if you have 100 people on a team then whatever you're
      > doing isn't Scrum any more. Does everyone get just 9 seconds to talk in
      > each daily Scrum?

      No, I used a scrum of scrums. I did have some 20+ people in the
      stand-up meeting, which lasted 20 minutes on average.

      > >One needs pictures. Which is what a Gantt chart is for me.
      >
      > One of the things implied with a Gantt chart is that someone has divided
      > the tasks up, decided who will do what, and both how and when they will be
      > done. So my question is: who does that? In a Scrum environment, that
      > should be done by the team. And furthermore, that should only be done if
      > the team decides that is how that it wishes to approach the problem of
      > organizing the work.

      That's how I did it: the team plans, I do the presentation to management.

      > Technically, you can't tell the team to make a Gantt
      > chart, you can't even tell them to organize the work and report it to you
      > so that you can make a Gantt chart.

      This I don't understand, why can't I expect them to organise their work?

      > (I'm saying these things like they are
      > rules, which thery aren't. Obviously you do what you need to do to get the
      > work done; and if one of the things you need to do is to remove the
      > independance of the team then so be it.)

      Why is the tea no longer independant if they provide me with a plan?

      --Hubert

      hubert.smits@...>