Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Agile Is Not A Product

  • Linda Rising
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 25, 2004
      Amen to this....we need to clarify our vocabulary. There's a big difference between an Evangelist
      and a fanatic. Sometimes it's a fine line.

      The patterns Personal Touch and Tailor Made emphasize that you need to see the world through
      the eyes of the people around you and make your message meaningful to them.

      Deb wrote:
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Pam Rostal" <pmrostal@c...>
      wrote:

      ..
      I think this means walking in the shoes of the people
      we're trying to serve (servant leadership at www.greenleaf.org is
      another concept we're missing in our emphases).  That probably means
      learning a lot more about the business domain we're working in and
      the people who work there.

      If we start from Scrum rather than the people we hope to convert,
      we're just like many of the missionaries who just want to impose
      their own set of beliefs, behaviors and rituals to replace the
      "wrong" beliefs, behaviors and rituals that already exist in the
      target population.

      Pam, the term "cultural imperialism" comes to mind, and conjures
      images of the enlightened "educating the natives" - a rather
      disrespectful approach which has now been discarded by many
      evangelising organisations - because in the end it is counter-productive.

      I really like your emphasis on starting "from the people we hope to
      convert". I'm not sure what that looks like, but it sounds more
      healthful than, for example: the geek-centric approach to XP that
      discards the opinion of anyone who can't read Java. That approach can
      offend and prejudice those outside the team, and can cause the
      political downfall of even a productive XP team.

      One of the paradigms that replaced "cultural imperialism" among
      religious missionaries in the 80s was "friendship evangelism" - a
      humbler, peer-to-peer, "walking in their shoes" approach. This
      suggests a couple of things to me: 1) if we want to evangelise
      managers, we need to train managers as ScrumMasters; 2) we need to
      replace our (counter-productive) disdain for waterfallists (etc.) with
      a more benevolent approach. Maybe this means we need new vocabulary.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/9EfwlB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Linda Rising