Integration Teams

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
      Hi All,

      Is an integration team needed for the following:

      * 4 Scrum Teams (well right now ScrumBut Teams, but that's a different issue)
      * User stories are supposedly full end-to-end features developed by each team.
      * The product is layered - infrastructure code, UI toolkit, product code
      * Code is modified by all teams on the same branch with continuous integration.

      Is an integration team needed?

      If so, how big?

      What would the integration team product backlog look like?

      Thanks,
      Tom
    • Michael James
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
        This seems to be a common crutch, but partitioning teams by discipline
        seems to lead to deadlocks and backlogs driven by dependencies rather
        than business value. Wouldn't you rather each team was fully cross
        functional ("feature teams") and knew how to integrate with the trunk?

        --mj

        On Oct 30, 2009, at 8:21 AM, Tom wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Is an integration team needed for the following:
        >
        > * 4 Scrum Teams (well right now ScrumBut Teams, but that's a
        > different issue)
        > * User stories are supposedly full end-to-end features developed by
        > each team.
        > * The product is layered - infrastructure code, UI toolkit, product
        > code
        > * Code is modified by all teams on the same branch with continuous
        > integration.
        >
        > Is an integration team needed?
        >
        > If so, how big?
        >
        > What would the integration team product backlog look like?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Tom

        > ! Groups Links

      • Alan Dayley
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
          Tom,

          You have continuous integration already.

          What value would an integration team provide that drives your
          consideration to create one?

          Why isn't this value already provided by the continuous integration?

          Can something in the current teams be adjusted to provide the needed
          result without creating an integration team?

          Requiring an integration team is an indicator of some other problem or
          problems. Solve the source problem instead of covering it with a
          special team. If you can.

          Alan

          On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Tom <twoytaszek@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Is an integration team needed for the following:
          >
          > * 4 Scrum Teams (well right now ScrumBut Teams, but that's a different issue)
          > * User stories are supposedly full end-to-end features developed by each team.
          > * The product is layered - infrastructure code, UI toolkit, product code
          > * Code is modified by all teams on the same branch with continuous integration.
          >
          > Is an integration team needed?
          >
          > If so, how big?
          >
          > What would the integration team product backlog look like?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Tom
        • Tom Woytaszek
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
            hi alan,

            there are a lot of existing stories that are not automated. so, mgmt
            wants to allocate a week after every 3 rd sprint for everyone to do
            manual handoff testing, because that "worked" in the past. so my
            proposal is to prioritize those cases and implement automation
            for those in addition to identify integ issues. the stories are not
            all completely indwpendent.

            - tom

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Tom <twoytaszek@gmail. com> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Is an integration team needed for the following:
            >
            > * 4 Scrum Teams (well right now ScrumBut Teams, but that's a different issue)
            > * User stories are supposedly full end-to-end features developed by each team.
            > * The product is layered - infrastructure code, UI toolkit, product code
            > * Code is modified by all teams on the same branch with continuous integration.
            >
            > Is an integration team needed?
            >
            > If so, how big?
            >
            > What would the integration team product backlog look like?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Tom

          • Michael Vizdos
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
              Hi,

              Have you asked the team(s) what they think they should do?

              Not the management.

              The teams who are actually responsible for the delivery of the product.

              If they are responsible for delivery, let them figure out what works best (because surprisingly most do!).

              Thank you,

              - Mike Vizdos
                www.implementingscrum.com

              On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Tom <twoytaszek@...> wrote:

              Hi All,

              Is an integration team needed for the following:

              * 4 Scrum Teams (well right now ScrumBut Teams, but that's a different issue)
              * User stories are supposedly full end-to-end features developed by each team.
              * The product is layered - infrastructure code, UI toolkit, product code
              * Code is modified by all teams on the same branch with continuous integration.

              Is an integration team needed?

              If so, how big?

              What would the integration team product backlog look like?

              Thanks,
              Tom

            • Hiren
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
                In my group, I have scrum teams organized similar to yours and we have a integration scrum team. The job of the integration team is

                1. To create a framework to consume deliverables (jar, war files..) and create final software product.
                2. It's also this teams role to run end to end integration tests that the team wrote in this framework.
                3. This team also demonstrates how the product is progressing against the planned features.

                Currently, we have a team of 4 dedicated engineers with varied expertise (Infrastructure, Security, UI, QA) working on this team. We don't expect this team to live forever. Once the framework is developed and integration becomes seamless this team can be dissolved.

                Hope this helps.

                Thanks,
                -Hiren Doshi
                Blog: www.practiceagile.com