Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: What does it take to pursue a career in Scrum?

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 27, 2009
      On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM, simons.online <simons.online@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure that a lot of agilist can relate to that.
      >
      > It seems like you've worked in quite a few places and had a good amount of exposure. Do you think that there is any fulfillment in being a scrummaster longterm after the implementation is successfully complete? Some have stated that a scrummaster isn't necessary in effective agile environments. It seems like once the chaos is under control, there isn't much to do outside of light administrative functions: observe/facilitate meetings, track time etc.

      I've never been entirely sold on the role of the Scrummaster. I think
      that some people do it well and it becomes a big asset, but I'm not
      sure that it was ever really a necessary role. I think the need for
      Scrummasters arose from the desire to disseminate Scrum and the choice
      to do so by creating an army of certificate holders. That effort has
      been largely successful though not without its drawbacks and
      detractors.

      Certainly there is a need for new or struggling agile teams to have
      some kind of leadership, but that can take a lot of forms. Sometimes
      the best thing is to have some experienced people embedded in the
      team. Sometimes it is best to have an outsider who can observe and
      offer suggestions (i.e. a coach.) Sometimes it just occurs
      spontaneously from within the team, because they get exposed to the
      ideas somewhere and decide to try them out. Any of these can work and
      any of them can fail, on a given day for a given team.

      Every successful leader will eventually reach a point where they are
      no longer needed. Every failed leader will as well. The trick is to
      have the courage to move on and the insight to know when it is time.
      Moving on doesn't necessarily have to mean leaving an organization,
      but it certainly means changing roles... even laterally.

      > Have you ever left a job out of boredom?

      Not per se. I have left because I felt that there wasn't anything that
      I could do to succeed or to help the team to succeed, or at least if
      there was something I could do I wasn't empowered to do it.