One way that works to show value in SCRUM

  • Alex Sirota
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2004
      Hi folks,

      I am finishing leading a project team in a sprint right now. We had a
      legacy "project charter" template that was being used by our
      technical lead to define the content of the SCRUM. In fact due to the
      fact that our cycle is completing before we have had a chance to
      finish the documentation we are now reviewing the project charter
      initially spelled out at the beginning of the sprint.

      The lesson: The forecasted charter and the actual charter is showing
      that we are delivering more scope (not less) and under budget. This
      forecast vs actual analysis for every sprint can show a clear value
      for doing SCRUM-type activities.

      Our daily scrums have proven absolutely critical to making sure we
      are on target, every day, and while our tech lead has not been to
      every meeting the client (me) and the programming team talk on the
      phone or face to face every business day.

      I believe that plotting the forecast schedule vs actual schedule and
      forecast costs vs actual costs on a per sprint basis can show clear
      value for SCRUM... This is an accidental finding, of course. Your
      mileage may vary.

      -Alex Sirota
      Ministry of Economic Development and Trade
      Government of Ontario
    • woynam
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2004
        A government agency delivering more functionality for less money???
        Does your supervisor know you're doing this? You may be setting
        yourself up for a budget cut next year. ;-)

        'Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-)

        Mark

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Sirota"