What does agile really mean?

  • Joshua Partogi
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 8, 2009
      I found it these days that the terms 'agile' is kind of overstated.
      Especially by managers or end-users that does not really know what
      agile in software development practice really is. I also see this in
      some software framework marketing when a framework is said to be agile
      it means it can produce a software in a blink of an eye. To some
      people agile means deliver something fast, but in scrum and
      extreme-programming practice it not merely about delivering software
      quickly, but it's a mean to be able to adapt with the rapid changes in
      user requirement. It also means it delivers the functionality that is
      relevant for the user's current needs. It might require pulling of
      some requirement to the next iteration.

      Now, let's take an example the practices in XP like unit-testing and
      refactoring, this require some time to do and doing this practice not
      guarantee the product will be delivered faster than if not doing it.
      Pair programming and continuous build also is not a mean to produce
      the software faster, but it will produce a software that is less
      error-prone.

      What is your experience as a Scrum Master or Coach when dealing about
      this perception from someone that does not really understand what
      agile in software development really means? Is agile in software
      development really mean to deliver a software real fast? Or is this a
      misperception from some people when translating the word agile in
      software development? Or perhaps I am the one that got the wrong
      perception about what agile really means?

      Thanks for your insights.

      Kind Regards.

      --
      Certified Scrum Master
      http://twitter.com/scrum8 | http://blog.scrum8.com | http://jobs.scrum8.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 8, 2009
        Agile means the stuff in the Manifesto and its application, but see inline...

        On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.partogi@...> wrote:

        > I found it these days that the terms 'agile' is kind of overstated.
        > Especially by managers or end-users that does not really know what
        > agile in software development practice really is. I also see this in
        > some software framework marketing when a framework is said to be agile
        > it means it can produce a software in a blink of an eye. To some
        > people agile means deliver something fast, but in scrum and
        > extreme-programming practice it not merely about delivering software
        > quickly, but it's a mean to be able to adapt with the rapid changes in
        > user requirement. It also means it delivers the functionality that is
        > relevant for the user's current needs. It might require pulling of
        > some requirement to the next iteration.

        Sort of. It's about adapting to change and adapting to feedback.
        Situations change. If we don't adapt our plan to meet those changes
        then we should expect to fail most of the time, which we do (As an
        industry.) We also change the situation, because our knowledge,
        understanding, and needs grow over time. Feedback, of all kinds, is
        very powerful. It's what makes the difference between great successes
        and missed opportunities.

        > Now, let's take an example the practices in XP like unit-testing and
        > refactoring, this require some time to do and doing this practice not
        > guarantee the product will be delivered faster than if not doing it.
        > Pair programming and continuous build also is not a mean to produce
        > the software faster, but it will produce a software that is less
        > error-prone.

        If the software doesn't have to work then we can build it much faster.
        If it does have to work then we should endeavor to make it so. XP is
        about making software that works in tiny increments so that we always
        know what is working and what is yet to be done. If you feel you don't
        have time to do that perhaps you should consider a different career.

        > What is your experience as a Scrum Master or Coach when dealing about
        > this perception from someone that does not really understand what
        > agile in software development really means? Is agile in software
        > development really mean to deliver a software real fast? Or is this a
        > misperception from some people when translating the word agile in
        > software development? Or perhaps I am the one that got the wrong
        > perception about what agile really means?

        There is a subtle but important difference between doing something
        fast and doing something often. Even the best Agile team couldn't
        deliver Windows in two-weeks, but I bet you they could deliver some
        increment of running, tested software in less than a minute.
      • Roy Morien
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 8, 2009
          I have compiled a list of 'characteristics' of 'agile development', based partly on other attempts to define it. Here is that list.Maybe it can be a starting point for discussion. What it does clearly imply is that agile is more than 'rapid application development': more than 'software prototyping', but it does, I think,subsume those prior terms and practices.

          Drawing on a variety of sources [1, 2, 3, 4] and synthesising the definitions and suggested characteristics in those sources, Agile development is seen to have these characteristics:

          ·  People Focused: (1) Collaborative: collaboration between developers and clients is continuous and continual, (2) Self-Organizing and Self-Managing Teams: Significant responsibility is handed to the team members, rather than a Project Manager, to decide on the work to be done in the next iteration.

          ·  Empirical and Adaptive: Project management practices that have been published to support ‘agile development’ practices are described as ‘empirical’,  ‘adaptive’, ‘evolutionary’ or ‘experiential’ rather than ‘prescriptive’, or ‘pre-planned’.

          ·  Iterative: Development is achieved through a series of short iterations each of which produces a useable enhancement to the system. This provides a frequent and regular feedback cycle, and opportunities for validation and verification of successful progress.

          ·  Incremental: Development is achieved through a series of delivered increments to the system, each of which produces a fully developed, fully tested and certified extra feature or component of the system.

          ·  Evolutionary: the system grows in size, the requirements in detail are continuously discovered, and are continually evolving during the development period.

          ·  Emergent: the whole of the system is greater than the parts. The characteristics of the system emerge as parts are added.

          ·  Just-in-Time Requirements Elicitation: Requirements are stated in detail ‘just in time’ to develop them, in the iteration in which those requirements will be implemented.

          ·  Knowledge-Based: Development activity is decided upon by the knowledgeable, self-managing members of the team, with continual knowledge sharing about the product, the technology and the progress of the project. Learning and knowledge sharing are emphasized.

          ·  Client Driven, ‘Pull-Based’ development: Only develop what is asked for by the Client, and when the Client asks for it.

          Agile methods emphasize project transparency, continual communication and collaboration between project partners.

          I have also attempted to draw in support for agile methods by defining various management practices as being reference disciplines for agile. I will be publishing this paper at a conference in Bangkok at the end of this month. If you are interested, I can post that paper here for critical discussion and as a contribution to the field.

          Regards,
          Roy Morien

          To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          From: joshua.partogi@...
          Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 11:31:31 +1100
          Subject: [scrumdevelopment] What does agile really mean?

[...]

          Find out how here Get Hotmail on your iPhone
        • Joshua Partogi
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 8, 2009
            On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@...> wrote:
            > I have also attempted to draw in support for agile methods by defining various management practices as being reference disciplines for agile. I will be publishing this paper at a conference in Bangkok at the end of this month. If you are interested, I can post that paper here for critical discussion and as a contribution to the field.

            Hi Roy,

            Can you please post it here to the list? I'm happy to look at it for discussion.

            Cheers.

            --
            Certified Scrum Master
            http://twitter.com/scrum8 | http://blog.scrum8.com | http://jobs.scrum8.com
          • (no author)
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
            I look forward to any comments, critiques etc., to assist me in honing and elaborating these ideas.

            The paticular conference where this paper will be presented can be seen at http://www.inceb.org/

            Regards,
            Roy Morien

            To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
            From: joshua.partogi@...
            Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:05:15 +1100
            Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] What does agile really mean?

            On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com> wrote:
            > I have also attempted to draw in support for agile methods by defining various management practices as being reference disciplines for agile. I will be publishing this paper at a conference in Bangkok at the end of this month. If you are interested, I can post that paper here for critical discussion and as a contribution to the field.

            Hi Roy,

            Can you please post it here to the list? I'm happy to look at it for discussion.

            Cheers.

            --
            Certified Scrum Master
            http://twitter. com/scrum8 | http://blog. scrum8.com | http://jobs. scrum8.com

            Find out how here Get Hotmail on your iPhone
          • Dan Rawsthorne
            Message 6 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
              Two words, two definitions:
              Agile (capital A) is about the Agile Manifesto, etc
              agile (small a) is about adapting to change, inspect and adapt, etc

              Scrum is about agility, not Agility. Scrum can be (and often is) used
              for Agile projects.

              Agility is a set of values, agility is a process/framework/process.

              Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, CST
              Senior Coach, Danube Technologies
              dan@..., 425-269-8628

              Message 7 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
                Good list, Roy, but it's "Agile Software Development" you are describing
                here... not "agile development"

                Only the "Empirical and Adaptive" part is agile.

                Roy Morien wrote:

> [...]
                > error-prone.
                >
                > What is your experience as a Scrum Master or Coach when dealing about
                > this perception from someone that does not really understand what
                > agile in software development really means? Is agile in software
                > development really mean to deliver a software real fast? Or is this a
                > misperception from some people when translating the word agile in
                > software development? Or perhaps I am the one that got the wrong
                > perception about what agile really means?
                >
                > Thanks for your insights.
                >
                > Kind Regards.
                >
                > --
                > Certified Scrum Master
                > http://twitter.com/scrum8 <http://twitter.com/scrum8> |
                > http://blog.scrum8.com <http://blog.scrum8.com/> |
                > http://jobs.scrum8.com <http://jobs.scrum8.com/>

                > Find out how here Get Hotmail on your iPhone

              • Joshua Partogi
                Message 8 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
                  On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Dan Rawsthorne
                  <dan.rawsthorne@...> wrote:

                  > Two words, two definitions:
                  > Agile (capital A) is about the Agile Manifesto, etc
                  > agile (small a) is about adapting to change, inspect and adapt, etc
                  >
                  > Scrum is about agility, not Agility. Scrum can be (and often is) used
                  > for Agile projects.
                  >
                  > Agility is a set of values, agility is a process/framework/process.

                  Nice writeup Dan! Really clear explanation. In Cambridge dictionary
                  agile basically means: "the ability to move quickly and easily" which
                  kinda pickup where most people thought that agile is about "delivering
                  software quickly" when it could also be interpreted as "able to adapt
                  quickly". I reckon the meaning in merriam-webster would make more
                  sense what agile really means: "having a quick resourceful and
                  adaptable character".

                  --
                  Certified Scrum Master
                  http://twitter.com/scrum8 | http://blog.scrum8.com | http://jobs.scrum8.com
                • Malcolm Anderson
                  Message 9 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
                    Hi Joshua

                    On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.partogi@...> wrote:

                    > What is your experience as a Scrum Master or Coach when dealing about
                    > this perception from someone that does not really understand what
                    > agile in software development really means? Is agile in software
                    > development really mean to deliver a software real fast? Or is this a
                    > misperception from some people when translating the word agile in
                    > software development? Or perhaps I am the one that got the wrong
                    > perception about what agile really means?

                    To simplify the other great answers from Roy and Dan; Yes, it is a
                    misconception that "agile" is going to make your software development
                    process faster.

                    If you have good disciplines, your team is going to seem to slow down.

                    The speed savings (in my experience) tend to come from the work that
                    your team doesn't do. Agile teams (once your customers are used to
                    getting software once or twice a week) quickly stop building software
                    that their customers *MIGHT* need. This frees the team up to do more
                    work for more customers.

                    The speed savings (in my experience) also come from the debugging that
                    your team doesn't do. I'm going to make some numbers up that feel
                    right (and if someone can point to the research that either supports
                    or contradicts my numbers, I'd appreciate it) but, the debugging time
                    that a normal team spends at the end of a project hacking it into
                    "deliverable" is cut down at least to half, probably closer to one
                    third. The problem is that this debugging time is not budgeted so it
                    seems like spending that debugging time up front is slowing the team
                    down.

                    To grossly oversimplify it:

                    Which is faster, getting from New York to Miami at 40 mph going down
                    the eastern sea board, or going 100 miles an hour via Seattle and LA?

                    Malcolm
                  • matt gelbwaks
                    Message 10 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
                      I love your analogy, but the one point you forgot to include was that the answer is "it depends upon what your client's expecatations are."

                      On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

                      Hi Joshua

                      On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.partogi@...> wrote:

                      > What is your experience as a Scrum Master or Coach when dealing about
                      > this perception from someone that does not really understand what
                      > agile in software development really means? Is agile in software
                      > development really mean to deliver a software real fast? Or is this a
                      > misperception from some people when translating the word agile in
                      > software development? Or perhaps I am the one that got the wrong
                      > perception about what agile really means?

                      To simplify the other great answers from Roy and Dan; Yes, it is a
                      misconception that "agile" is going to make your software development
                      process faster.

                      If you have good disciplines, your team is going to seem to slow down.

                      The speed savings (in my experience) tend to come from the work that
                      your team doesn't do. Agile teams (once your customers are used to
                      getting software once or twice a week) quickly stop building software
                      that their customers *MIGHT* need. This frees the team up to do more
                      work for more customers.

                      The speed savings (in my experience) also come from the debugging that
                      your team doesn't do. I'm going to make some numbers up that feel
                      right (and if someone can point to the research that either supports
                      or contradicts my numbers, I'd appreciate it) but, the debugging time
                      that a normal team spends at the end of a project hacking it into
                      "deliverable" is cut down at least to half, probably closer to one
                      third. The problem is that this debugging time is not budgeted so it
                      seems like spending that debugging time up front is slowing the team
                      down.

                      To grossly oversimplify it:

                      Which is faster, getting from New York to Miami at 40 mph going down
                      the eastern sea board, or going 100 miles an hour via Seattle and LA?

                      Malcolm

                      --
                      Cheers,
                    • George Dinwiddie
                      Message 11 of 15 , Oct 10, 2009
                        Joshua Partogi wrote:
                        > What is your experience as a Scrum Master or Coach when dealing about
                        > this perception from someone that does not really understand what
                        > agile in software development really means? Is agile in software
                        > development really mean to deliver a software real fast? Or is this a
                        > misperception from some people when translating the word agile in
                        > software development? Or perhaps I am the one that got the wrong
                        > perception about what agile really means?

                        Agile Software Development is about the ability to steer the project,
                        not speed. http://blog.gdinwiddie.com/2007/07/08/what-is-agile/

                        - George

                      • Roy Morien
                        Message 12 of 15 , Oct 11, 2009
                          Well, Dan, I work in two arenas, developing software, and teaching about developing software, so I guess my main emphasis is on Agile Software Development, and my use of the term 'agile development' was mainly intended to be read in that context.  I am not sure as to the implications of you capitalising "Agile Software Development" however.

                          But I wonder why you seek to make the distinction,and why my list is so 'narrow'?

                          I have been toying with the idea, for a long time, that agile practices ought to be applied to teaching and learning. Each week is essentially an iteration, commenced with a lecture that provides students with an increment in their learning. If by the end of the week that is 'Done' (ie: well learned a understood) then the student can move on, evolving their knowledge further. As the learning period (semester term) proceeds new ideas emerge as students add to ther knowledge. Information is presented to the student 'just-in-time' to be applied to an ongoing learning exercise or project. I belive that the 'teacher' should be a facilitator and guide to what ought to be learned, rather than being the sole source of wisdom, by 'teaching' the subject matter. I like to see my lectures as signposts indicating a direction to take, and my lecture plans to be a road map of the learning terrain, which I hope the students will traverse in collaborative groups.

                          I think the analogies are there and can be expoited for effective learning.

                          Unfortunately, the common approach to teaching and learning is exemplified in the student complaint 'but you didn't tell us that in the lecture', and the student requirement of 'please give us some exam hints for the exam next week', and the habit of cramming and memorizing the day before the final exam. Memorizing but not understanding. I prefer the model where the students start learning on a continual basis from week 1, working in supportive study groups, so by the time they arrive at the final exam, their confidence is at its highest, not its lowest. (which seems to be another similarity to software projects done in  the traditional way, where the maximum level of angst and anxiey is just before that great Feast Day known an Implementation Day.

                          Anyway, Thanks for you response, and maybe a further explanation of your comments.

> [...]

                          > > error-prone.
                          > >
                          > > What is your experience as a Scrum Master or Coach when dealing about
                          > > this perception from someone that does not really understand what
                          > > agile in software development really means? Is agile in software
                          > > development really mean to deliver a software real fast? Or is this a
                          > > misperception from some people when translating the word agile in
                          > > software development? Or perhaps I am the one that got the wrong
                          > > perception about what agile really means?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for your insights.
                          > >
                          > > Kind Regards.
                          > >
                          > > --
                          > > Certified Scrum Master
                          > > http://twitter.com/scrum8 <http://twitter.com/scrum8> |
                          > > http://blog.scrum8.com <http://blog.scrum8.com/> |
                          > > http://jobs.scrum8.com <http://jobs.scrum8.com/>

                          > > Find out how here Get Hotmail on your iPhone

                          Check out The Great Australian Pay Check Take a peek at other people's pay and perks
                        • pmrostal@comcast.net
                          Message 13 of 15 , Oct 11, 2009
                            Hi Roy,

                            For an example of agile practices, values, and principles being applied in a university setting, see http://www.infoq.com/articles/NMHU-scrum-university-apprentice.

                            pam

                            Message 14 of 15 , Oct 11, 2009
                            Hi Pam,

                            I like the paper and the endeavour that it descibes. I do have in mind applying 'agile thinking' more generally to the presentation of a subject, replacing the 12 lectures and a final exam style of T&L.

                            I have attached 2 papers that I have presented  at conferences about student experience using agile. The papers are obviously very similar, but one is sort of Paper Number One: The Sequel.

                            Regards,
                            Roy Morien

                            To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                            From: pmrostal@...
                            Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 03:08:06 +0000

                            Message 15 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
                              I capitalize Agile Software Development because the authors of the Agile
                              Manifest do so, and they claim that ASD is defined by the manifesto. Ok,
                              no problem...

                              I want to use the word "agile" to mean only what it means in scrum;
                              that's it's an empirical process. I believe that agility is useful in
                              all things, and it is the exact antithesis if "predictive". Everything
                              else is values, as in the Manifesto, and not process, IMHO.