Voting for SM

  • Inanc Gumus
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2009
      Should the team select its own SM? The team can rotate their SM monthly (equals to 4 iterations) ?

      Do you have experience about this, what do you suggest?
    • Plamen Balkanski
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2009
        Hi,
        we did it once with one of our team and it wasn't a very positive experience.
        I believe the team can vote the SM if it is a mature scrum team and in fact someone really experienced can tell that they are a mature scrum team.
        SM requires certain qualities and not everyone is fit for the job. If you do have a team of potential SMs then you probably have a great team anyway so it would not matter. My experience is that this rarely is the case. So unless you have a team of great SMs I would recommend going through a few articles on SA's website with various suggestions regarding SM attributes and then choose someone who meets most of the criteria.

        Hope this is useful.

        Cheers
        Plamen

        Plamen Balkanski
        http://plamenbalkanski.blogspot.com/
        The Wessex Scrum User Group
        http://www.scrumalliance.org/user_groups/64
        http://twitter.com/plamenb
        07912 780 927

        2009/10/8 Inanc Gumus <inanc.gumus@...>

        Should the team select its own SM? The team can rotate their SM monthly (equals to 4 iterations) ?

        Do you have experience about this, what do you suggest?

      • Mark Levison
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2009
          Quite aside from concerns about rotating scrum master which has been discussed here before, I would worry that voting for SM will turn into a popularity contest and not pick the person/people best suited to the task.

          I'm with Plamen - choose one person and train them well.

          Cheers
          Mark
          Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 761-9821