Re: Sprint timebox violation

  • Inanc Gumus
    Message 1 of 46 , Oct 7, 2009
      Hello Maurice,

      > How come you have a single backlog item in a sprint? Is the item so complex, is the sprint's duration so short or is the team so small

      Team is consisting of 3 people (except SM and PO). Actually, story is so small:

      "As an advertiser, I want you to stop delivering my campaign as soon as my campaign budget is depleted"

      Technical tasks of this story is: to write business logic and persistence logic, unit+integration+uat testing and deploying it to our pre-release server.

      I think, if the team is small and splitting stories further makes them look like 'tasks', then sprint's duration better be longer. Or, this could be an indication of low motivation, absent of technical abilities and/or working ineffectively. What do you think?
    • Mark Levison
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 15, 2009
        On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Inanc Gumus <inanc.gumus@...> wrote:

        > Hello Adrian,
        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:
        > > How much of the time in the iteration is taken up doing the story -
        > > and how much doing "other" stuff?
        > >

        > 20% of the time goes to planning, retrospective etc.

        This seems high - I would expect planning to take 2hrs per week of sprint (1hr story choosing and 1hr task breakdown). Review meeting 1hr per week of sprint. Retrospective 1hr per week of sprint. I would put a hard cap on these times and end meetings if go on longer. So at most 10% of your week.

        > Also, %50 of the time goes to design discussions and research on something.

        Thats a lot of time doing design and research. I would expect that this might 10% of your time. Now wonder they're not getting to done. Ask them questions around this.

        Cheers
        Mark

        Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 761-9821