Sprint timebox violation

  • Inanc Gumus
    Message 1 of 46 , Oct 7, 2009
      The team is developing the stories added to a sprint but usually after the sprint ends, they continue to the same stories (As PO requests). They usually, putting their work next sprint's first and next days into pre-release servers and validates their work with PO before releasing. And, I think this prevents the feeling of a timeboxed sprint which also violates one of the tenets of Scrum.

      The problem is obviously with planning. But, sometimes reality doesn't match to guessing. What do you suggest to do within these situations?
    • Mark Levison
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 15, 2009
        On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Inanc Gumus <inanc.gumus@...> wrote:

        > Hello Adrian,
        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:
        > > How much of the time in the iteration is taken up doing the story -
        > > and how much doing "other" stuff?
        > >

        > 20% of the time goes to planning, retrospective etc.

        This seems high - I would expect planning to take 2hrs per week of sprint (1hr story choosing and 1hr task breakdown). Review meeting 1hr per week of sprint. Retrospective 1hr per week of sprint. I would put a hard cap on these times and end meetings if go on longer. So at most 10% of your week.

        > Also, %50 of the time goes to design discussions and research on something.

        Thats a lot of time doing design and research. I would expect that this might 10% of your time. Now wonder they're not getting to done. Ask them questions around this.

        Cheers
        Mark

        Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 761-9821