RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Outsourcing and Trust

  • Archer, Jonathan
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
      This piece of the conversation is interesting to me:

      >> My interest is more on the personality traits and motivation of the
      >> individuals. Is this more prevalent in outsourced vs. co-located
      >> teams? What role does culture and personal ethics play for success?

      > I find this area interesting as well. My college psychology professor
      > had one primary rule "People vary.". Individuals will have differing
      > attitudes and reactions. I believe company culture is a large factor.
      > I suspect national/ethnic culture is a much smaller factor.

      I'm a Brit working in the US who has worked with teams in both those
      countries as well as Germany, Belarus and India. In my opinion, culled
      from my experience, you will definitely find a wide variety of attitudes
      and behaviors within a single national/ethnic culture. Nonetheless,
      understanding the general outlook that permeates a culture can help with
      understanding and cooperation within a team with a diverse make up.
      There definitely are differences and personally I found myself much less
      frustrated once I better understood this.

      For example, I see much greater willingness to be critical of things and
      offer suggestions from people I've worked with in Belarus than in India.
      This makes certain aspects of agile thinking (retrospectives :-) harder
      for some folks from India initially. However, a colleague of mine who
      has worked with teams there for longer than me says that with the right
      approach it's quite possible to get folks to overcome their reluctance
      in this area.

      This website has some short but useful profiles of various countries
      that I certainly found helpful in understanding this kind of thing:
      http://www.worldbusinessculture.com/ (no, not affiliated to them in
      anyway... :-)

      Cheers,
      Jon