Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Technical quality advocator

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 2, 2009
      Hello, Inanc. On Friday, October 2, 2009, at 3:00:27 AM, you
      wrote:

      > I agree. Can we come to a conclusion from what you have written:
      > SM should strive for an understanding of the risk involved to the
      > all parties (stakeholders etc) even PO is trying to withold the information?

      Everyone should understand everything in an ideal world. But what's
      this about the PO withholding information? If that's happening it is
      probably your biggest problem.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest. -- Paul Simon
    • JackM
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 2, 2009
        What I suggest you do is the following.

        Setup a lunch and learn. During that hour, have them watch the google tech talk video by Ken Schwabber. He covers the technical debt issue really really well in this video.

        http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7230144396191025011#

        Hope this helps
        Jack

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Inanc Gumus" <inanc.gumus@...> wrote:

        > Hello Ron,
        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@> wrote:
        > > In simple terms, the team has a bad definition of done, or is not
        > > living up to the definition they have.
        > >
        > > The more interesting question is why. What is making them value
        > > shoddy work?
        > >
        > > Ron Jeffries
        > >

        > I asked this to the team, and they said: "delivering something which business puts a very high value is most important". They say, in a future time after the pressure decreases (which i think will never happen), they say they would be more quality-driven.
        >
        > They don't see the stories as a chance to improve their architectures. Rather, when a story can be accomplished by doing a work-around solution in the system, they do that so. So, they're increasing their defect rates consciously.
        >
        > Also, the team is trying to learn new knowledge about the technologies which they seem are valuable. This increases the re-work rate because they're doing something wrong at the 1st, 2nd time, and then they're thinking to re-write those parts from the begin again. They're mostly doing minor refactorings (like changing variable/method names etc), not doing something like evolving the architecture step by step.

      • extremeprogrammer
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 2, 2009
          There's a whole bunch of different quality issues explicit and implicit in your post.

          Let's take the obvious quality problem of a defect. If there is a defect, then something that you've spent time doing does not deliver the value to the business that it was supposed to. In that case, you could have not done that piece of work, because the decision has evidently been made that the business can now do without it. How much more pragmatic can you be than not doing something that the business can do without? Next time, spend a bit more time deciding what is really essential for the next release and then do it, making sure, by necessity, that everything you do works because everything is now essential.

          Now let's think about internal quality issues. This one is actually harder for me. I like high quality code (by my definition of quality). When I produce and work with good quality code, I feel I'm doing a good job and that I can respond to the business needs faster and more reliably. Many people believe something different. I'm no longer interested in arguing with those people. They make their own hell and for the past seven or eight years I have arranged not to have to join them in it. I'm sure others will offer different advice on this one.

          Finally, I am really tired of people doing and being payed for crap work that doesn't do what is needed and then saying they are being 'pragmatic', often at the same time complaining about the lack of quality in stuff that they depend on (open-source software, for example). This is not pragmatic; merely inadequate.

          Regards,

          Lance

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Inanc Gumus" <inanc.gumus@...> wrote:

          > As a SM, I advocate about technical quality standards to the team. But, most of the team members usually resist this kind of actions. They take a more pragmatic attitude for the story goals. They say: "it is good enough for now, if that defect makes the system down, or decrease its performance then we can handle it that moment".
          >
          > What do you think about this? If a team tries to deliver high priority work ASAP by deferring the mediocre technical defects to later; should that work be accepted?

        • Malcolm Anderson
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 2, 2009
            "I advocate about technical quality standards to the team"

            That way leads to madness.  It's not your job to advocate about technical quality.
            Especially not technical quality "standards."

            One of the things that you are running into is the "above-average effect."
            Roughly put, about 100% of the population believes that they are above average.
            The bottom 25% tend to believe that they are in the top 65%

            Why bring this up?
            If you insinuate that your developers are not the superstars they think they are, it will not go well for you.
            If however, you offer a suggestion when they are stuck, (and are, in the moment) asking for your suggestion, then, at that moment, your team *may* be interested in improving their abilities.

            At that moment.

            Malcolm Anderson
            Agile Coach for Hire

            On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Inanc Gumus <inanc.gumus@...> wrote:

            As a SM, I advocate about technical quality standards to the team. But, most of the team members usually resist this kind of actions. They take a more pragmatic attitude for the story goals. They say: "it is good enough for now, if that defect makes the system down, or decrease its performance then we can handle it that moment".

            What do you think about this? If a team tries to deliver high priority work ASAP by deferring the mediocre technical defects to later; should that work be accepted?

          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 2, 2009
              Inanc Gumus wrote:
              > As a SM, I advocate about technical quality standards to the team.
              > But, most of the team members usually resist this kind of actions.

              These two sentences tell me something. They tell me that you're not
              communicating with the team members in a way that entices them to
              follow. You've received many responses about why the team /should/ care
              more about the technical quality, but I'm not convinced that these

              Instead, I suggest looking at Dale Emery's "Resistance as a Resource"
              material on dhemery.com It's not easy to do what you want to do, but I
              think that might help.

              - George

            • Inanc Gumus
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 7, 2009
                Hello Ron,
                > Everyone should understand everything in an ideal world. But what's
                > this about the PO withholding information? If that's happening it is
                > probably your biggest problem.
                >
                > Ron Jeffries

                Do you mean that all stakeholders should be informed about that PO is witholding some information?
              • Inanc Gumus
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 7, 2009
                  Hello Lance,
                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "extremeprogrammer" <LanceWalton@...> wrote:
                  > Let's take the obvious quality problem of a defect. If there is a defect, then something that you've spent time doing does not deliver the value to the business that it was supposed to. In that case, you could have not done that piece of work, because the decision has evidently been made that the business can now do without it.

                  I didn't understand what do you mean here. Do you mean: Business wants something and doing defected work giving them nothing?

                  > Now let's think about internal quality issues. This one is actually harder for me. I like high quality code (by my definition of quality). When I produce and work with good quality code, I feel I'm doing a good job and that I can respond to the business needs faster and more reliably. Many people believe something different. I'm no longer interested in arguing with those people. They make their own hell and for the past seven or eight years I have arranged not to have to join them in it. I'm sure others will offer different advice on this one.

                  My original question actually is: Who should coach the team to produce quality code? If there is no one, than if the whole team believes in pragmatism, what should we do if they produce defectful work?
                • Inanc Gumus
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 7, 2009
                    Hello Malcolm,
                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

                    > "I advocate about technical quality standards to the team"
                    >
                    > That way leads to madness. It's not your job to advocate about technical
                    > quality.
                    > Especially not technical quality "standards."
                    >
                    > (...)
                    >
                    > Malcolm Anderson
                    > Agile Coach for Hire

                    Then, who should coach them about producing working software (including quality)?
                  • Inanc Gumus
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 7, 2009
                      Hello George, thanks for the to the point reference.
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 7, 2009
                        Hello, Inanc. On Wednesday, October 7, 2009, at 4:53:05 AM, you
                        wrote:

                        > Hello Ron,
                        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                        >> Everyone should understand everything in an ideal world. But what's
                        >> this about the PO withholding information? If that's happening it is
                        >> probably your biggest problem.
                        >>
                        >> Ron Jeffries

                        > Do you mean that all stakeholders should be informed about that
                        > PO is witholding some information?

                        I don't know what I'd do because I don't know what is happening. I'm
                        just saying that if the PO is withholding information, it's bad.

                        www.xprogramming.com/blog
                        Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people
                        always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can
                        become great. -- Mark Twain.
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 7, 2009
                          Hello, Inanc. On Wednesday, October 7, 2009, at 5:00:57 AM, you
                          wrote:

                          > My original question actually is: Who should coach the team to
                          > produce quality code? If there is no one, than if the whole team
                          > believes in pragmatism, what should we do if they produce defectful work?

                          If no one is unhappy about current level of quality, it will
                          continue. Does anyone care besides you?

                          www.xprogramming.com/blog
                          Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
                          The important thing is to not stop questioning. --Albert Einstein
                        • Kurt Häusler
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 7, 2009
                            On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 09:00:57AM -0000, Inanc Gumus wrote:
                            > My original question actually is: Who should coach the team to produce quality code? If there is no one, than if the whole team believes in pragmatism, what should we do if they produce defectful work?

                            For the first question, you could hire a consultant to coach the team to
                            improve their quality, or if you have strong QA people (not QC or testers),
                            then they could work with the developers to help with quality issues.

                            For the second question, I understand "defectful", or defective work to be work that
                            doesn't meet the requirements without visible defects. In this case, it
                            should simply not be accepted by the PO. If however by defectful you mean
                            software that does meet all acceptance criteria, without any visible
                            defects, but is a maintenance nightmare, and suffers from poor internal
                            quality, then that is where a strong QA person in a management role is
                            required. There is no scrum role for that, as I guess scrum assumes
                            quality-aware developers, so I would consider
                            them a team member as far as scrum goes.

                            But without such a role there is no incentive to clear away some of the
                            excess duct tape. The PO cannot even see it, so cannot be expected to be
                            concerned with anything beyond seeing his acceptance criteria being passed
                            without visible defects. A year later he might, when stories that used to
                            take a couple of hours end up taking a couple of weeks, but until then, if
                            the developers cannot get their duct tape aka technical debt aka crap in
                            order, then you need to hire someone who can help them with that.
                          • extremeprogrammer
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 7, 2009
                              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Inanc Gumus" <inanc.gumus@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Lance,
                              > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "extremeprogrammer" <LanceWalton@> wrote:
                              > > Let's take the obvious quality problem of a defect. If there is a defect, then something that you've spent time doing does not deliver the value to the business that it was supposed to. In that case, you could have not done that piece of work, because the decision has evidently been made that the business can now do without it.
                              >
                              > I didn't understand what do you mean here. Do you mean: Business wants something and doing defected work giving them nothing?

                              It will give the business something between a significant loss of money / reputation / lives / etc and "a bit less than they wanted" depending on the nature of the defect. In one case in my career, a defect actually saved a bank from a significant loss; this is probably not the way to bet though.

                              > > Now let's think about internal quality issues. This one is actually harder for me. I like high quality code (by my definition of quality). When I produce and work with good quality code, I feel I'm doing a good job and that I can respond to the business needs faster and more reliably. Many people believe something different. I'm no longer interested in arguing with those people. They make their own hell and for the past seven or eight years I have arranged not to have to join them in it. I'm sure others will offer different advice on this one.
                              > >

                              > My original question actually is: Who should coach the team to produce quality code? If there is no one, than if the whole team believes in pragmatism, what should we do if they produce defectful work?

                              They are not being pragmatic.

                              It is not necessarily their call to produce low quality code.

                              It is not at all their call to produce work that is defective according to the customer.

                              Before they can be taught to produce high quality code, they need to accept the possibility of and the merit in high quality work. Their insistence on 'pragmatism' suggests that they do not accept this. However, I know almost nothing about your situation; I could be wrong. I hope I am.

                              If the team wants to produce better work, and you have a way that produces better work, and they believe that you have a way that could produce better work, and if you have the inclination to teach them, then by all means, teach them.

                              If the team does not want to produce better work, then you will invest a lot of energy and probably suffer some stress with no benefit to anybody. It's up to the organisation what it wants to do with the team. It's up to you to decide whether you want to be a part of that team or not, assuming that this is not the only show in town.

                              Some disconnected thoughts follow...

                              Regarding some of the preconditions for quality, I wrote some of my thoughts about some of this a few months ago here: http://www.casualmiracles.com/blog/2009/06/22/demand-quality-you-get-what-you-ask-for/ - not particularly original stuff, I know, but maybe repetition will succeed where other approaches have yet to bear fruit.

                              For the small fraction of people who have a method that routinely produces the kind of good results with which many of the people on this list are familiar and which I describe in that article, it feels like occupying the lowest energy position possible - producing poorer results actually requires greater effort. For everybody else, it seems that achieving these kinds of results is like occupying a high energy position with slippery slopes all around.

                              Those in the 'small fraction' who have bothered to read this far probably know exactly what I'm talking about. Those in the larger fraction (not many of them in this group) will think that I'm talking nonsense, that I obviously don't work in the real world, that their situation is different, that they need to be pragmatic (for some definition of pragmatic that I don't understand), that I have a simplistic understanding of the problem, that I am arrogant (actually, they are right about that), etc. These people are unteachable until they become aware. They know not that they know not. Shun them.

                              Or.... maybe they have a point and it is I that am unaware. Could be. I hope not.

                              It seems to me that your team is more like the large fraction than the small fraction. However, I know almost nothing about your situation; I could be wrong. I hope I am.

                              Regards,

                              Lance