Your greatest #fails in your sown scrum. Preparing for presentation

  • sschuermann303
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 24, 2009
      I am preparing a paper presenting our own way to scrum, and one big part will be our fails. The most important part, since we made #wins out of most of them.
      So please, tell me your relalife fails. It will help me focus on the things that bother more than only us. ;)

      Sebastian
    • Amanda Abelove
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 24, 2009
        Oh you should totally go to failcon :-)

        http://snapsummit4.eventbrite.com/

        -Amanda

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        310-237-6370
        Skype: amanda.abelove

        Scrum Club - A Scrum methodology user group
        @scrumclub, #scrumclub
        http://scrumclub.org

        Corporate Espionage - A tradable card game on entrepreneurship
        @corpespionage, #corpespionage
        http://masterofespionage.com
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 24, 2009
          Hehe

          To bad i can't convince anyone to pay me a planeticket and a conference ticket for that conference. But i guess it would be a good talk for that one.
          To clarify the whole thing, I personally see the whole scrum "thing" as a huge success and it gave me and others back a lot of fun in development. ;)

          So it was a big win, but you know how "inspect and adapt" works ;). You need to #fail before you #win.

          Btw: the con. is http://www.scrumalliance.org/events/77-germany-scrum-gathering and my talk is

          goto (`scrum')- The real deal: Sebastian - Salon Regar

          I have all the topics outlined and it represents one year of pure scrum experience. Numbers included.

          Sebastian

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Abelove <amanda@...> wrote:

          > Oh you should totally go to failcon :-)
          >
          > http://snapsummit4.eventbrite.com/
          >

          > -Amanda
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > 310-237-6370
          > Skype: amanda.abelove
          >
          > Scrum Club - A Scrum methodology user group
          > @scrumclub, #scrumclub
          > http://scrumclub.org
          >
          > Corporate Espionage - A tradable card game on entrepreneurship
          > @corpespionage, #corpespionage
          > http://masterofespionage.com
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          >

          > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 3:35 PM, sschuermann303 <sschuermann303@...>wrote:
          >

          > > I am preparing a paper presenting our own way to scrum, and one big part
          > > will be our fails. The most important part, since we made #wins out of most
          > > of them.
          > > So please, tell me your relalife fails. It will help me focus on the things
          > > that bother more than only us. ;)
          > >
          > > Sebastian

        • Michael Vizdos
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
            Hi,

            I blogged about this a while ago (with an associated cartoon you can feel free to use)... instead of re-stating it here, please read it at:

            Thank you,

            - Mike Vizdos

            On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:35 PM, sschuermann303 <sschuermann303@...> wrote:

            I am preparing a paper presenting our own way to scrum, and one big part will be our fails. The most important part, since we made #wins out of most of them.
            So please, tell me your relalife fails. It will help me focus on the things that bother more than only us. ;)

            Sebastian

          • craig_w_brown
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009

              > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:35 PM, sschuermann303 <sschuermann303@...>wrote:
              >

              > > I am preparing a paper presenting our own way to scrum, and one big part
              > > will be our fails. The most important part, since we made #wins out of most
              > > of them.
              > > So please, tell me your relalife fails. It will help me focus on the things
              > > that bother more than only us. ;)
              > >
              > > Sebastian

              Two things struck me, and they affected different team members differently.

              One was developing a sense of openness, transparency and intra-team trust despite a past culture that encouraged an "I'm always in control" posture.

              And developing a team muscle memory so that being at the stand-up, planning session etc was a natural and rythmic thing rather than needing to always hustle people to turn up.
            • Paul Gandillot
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009

                > > I am preparing a paper presenting our own way to scrum, and one big part
                > > will be our fails. The most important part, since we made #wins out of most
                > > of them.
                > > So please, tell me your relalife fails. It will help me focus on the things
                > > that bother more than only us. ;)
                > >
                > > Sebastian

                Two things struck me, and they affected different team members differently.

                One was developing a sense of openness, transparency and intra-team trust despite a past culture that encouraged an "I'm always in control" posture.

                And developing a team muscle memory so that being at the stand-up, planning session etc was a natural and rythmic thing rather than needing to always hustle people to turn up.

              • ablmf
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 28, 2009
                  Have a look at my experience of scrum:

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "sschuermann303" <sschuermann303@...> wrote:

                  > I am preparing a paper presenting our own way to scrum, and one big part will be our fails. The most important part, since we made #wins out of most of them.
                  > So please, tell me your relalife fails. It will help me focus on the things that bother more than only us. ;)
                  >
                  > Sebastian

                • Cyril
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 28, 2009
                    Well, when I was new to scrum I had two fails caused by the completely contrary reasons, both connected with people nature.

                    I think it is very often when you may have strong initiative individualists on the team as well as when you may have good professionals which however prefer to be driven and don't like to be proactive.

                    My first case was about fail to integrate independent individualistic professionals in the self driven scrum team and set required intensive communication\collaboration between them.

                    My second case was about fail to implement collaborative decision making \ brainstorming processes on the team level when working with let's say "passive" professionals.

                    Now then I'm more experienced in agile\scrum\management I have proper treats for such issues in my toolbox, but according to my observations majority of unsuccessful scrum projects around fail because of the very similar issues. It's especially true in the international\global environment where it is possible to find "individualistic" cultures (like those on the West) and cultures based upon group\community values (like those on the East).