Re: [scrumdevelopment] Coding /functionality/ across modules rather than coding modules?

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
      ablmf wrote:
      > This seems to be a common development style in agile world. But it
      > would require a developer to study more than one kind of programming
      > language or technique. For example, in my team, it means that one
      > has to be familiar with C/Python/C#/JavaScript.
      >
      > Of course, for some people, like me, studying new skills is
      > interesting. BUT, for many other people, especially for these
      > programming is just a way to make a living, and for these who have
      > financial pressure, studying something completely new, might not be
      > so attracting.
      >
      > They want to be an *expert* in some area so they can find a job with
      > good salary. And studying something new, won't help.

      They may be unhappily surprised in the future. Knowing a language won't
      see them through their career. I spoke on "Sustainable Career" at XP
      Days Manhattan in 2007 and you can find the slides at
      http://idiacomputing.com/publications.html

      And they don't have to stop and study a new language. Developing across
      boundaries in collaboration with another developer will work wonders.

      > I am considering pushing my colleges to work across modules but I am
      > not quite sure if it's worth trying.

      Pushing is unlikely to work. It's like pushing string. Leading them
      will seem slower, but more likely to be effective and therefore faster
      in the long run. Of course, that means that /you/ have to study people. :-)

      - George