Re: How can management contribute meaningfully to Scrum?

  • petriheiramo
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 24, 2009
      Hi again,

      > Are you saying that in order for Agile to be successful in software
      > development, Agile must be adopted across an entire organization?
      > That strikes me as a very high hurdle.

      Well, it is. But it doesn't have to be looked at like a mountain. You can work with the teams and they will tell you what the foothills are. Once you fix those, they will point to next visible peaks on the way. Fix them, and you get higher and higher. Sometime you will reach the peak (if only to find out that there are also other mountains, some maybe higher than this).

      In other words, it's good to understand that, but you don't have to have a solution right up front. You can start with the teams and as they uncover impediments, you can tackle them. People are funny in that once a problem is resolved, you can count on them to find another one. :) [which is essentially the same as the bottleneck analysis in a process flow]

      In fact, thinking about it, very very few companies ever reach the top of the mountain (I haven't yet come across one live, although one company might come close), so climbing slowly might be your best approach anyways :).

      Yours Sincerely,

      Petri

      ---
      Petri Heiramo
      Process Development Manager, Agile Coach (CST)
      Digia Plc., Finland