Re: Customer centric design and Scrum

  • petriheiramo
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 24, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      I was reading a rather large backlog of these messages (vacations mess up my mailbox... :) ), so sorry for responding to old mails.

      > Should CCD (customer centric design) on a story continue all
      > the way through the sprint or should it stop once the sprint starts?
      >
      > I have a running debate at work where CCD has been implemented on
      > top of Scrum (scrumbut) and our CCD people believe that they should
      > be able to continue to collect client feedback on stories that have
      > reached a definition of done.

      I feel that those two are in harmony with each other. Before implementation, the desire is to understand the feature as we best can, and after it make sure that what was implemented _in_fact_does_ meet the customer need and expectation.

      This will create a little bit of churn in requirements, but it just can't be avoided entirely. It is a cost involved in the process.

      To mitigate that cost, the whole team (including the CCD people) should focus on incremental feature construction whenever possible, and validate partial (simple) implementations before committing to the full feature. That way if the user validations indicate change needs or priority changes, the doesn't necessarily have to redo so much stuff.

      Yours Sincerely,

      Petri

      ---
      Petri Heiramo
      Process Development Manager, Agile Coach (CST)
      Digia Plc., Finland