RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Manage Self Organizing Teams

  • Clinton Keith
    Message 1 of 49 , Aug 12, 2004
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Lisa Crispin [mailto:lisa.crispin@...]
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon
      <sagordon@a...> wrote:
      > > - I do not like the idea of a separate QA team. I believe each
      team should be responsibility for the quality of their work.  If a
      teams lacks the experience to do their own QA, put a person with QA
      experience on the team.  Everyone will learn more and thereby become
      more productive.

      > I strongly agree!  Testing should be a collaboration of various team
      members - programmers, testers, business experts, and others as
      appropriate.  If the customer-facing testing is done separately,
      that test time isn't represented in the team's velocity.  In my
      experience, this has a negative impact on your ability to deliver
      working, tested code at the end of each sprint.  I know some agile
      teams make this approach work, but I think it generally leads to bad
      things.  Besides, it's not nearly as much fun for the testers, and
      why shouldn't we get to play too?
      -- Lisa

      In video game development we have to have a separate QA group and a QA programming team to support them. The QA process for VG development requires many professional testers that are not programmers. They are customers and we have a programmer QA team which prioritizes their requests and creates releases of the product that can pass various stages of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo requirements.

      Clinton Keith
      Technical Director, Certified Scrum Master
      Sammy Studios
    • David A Barrett
      Message 49 of 49 , Aug 19, 2004
        Mike said,

        >3) nobody likes to be berated when asking a question, so answer
        >questions politely, no matter how inane the question may be to you.

        I can still vividly remember a conversation I had in 1987 with my boss at
        the time. It came to an end with the following statement from him, "Jesus!
        I could have done it myself in time we've wasted talking about it".

        You've got to figure, over the past 17 years I've worked with a lot of
        jerks, and I can't remember many of them. That one, though, will probably
        stick with me forever.

        Dave Barrett,
        Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company