Re: [scrumdevelopment] New Article: "Rugby, Anyone?" by Brian Noyes

  • Martin Fowler
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
      What I want to know is whether the people who coined the term Scrum have
      ever been in one. It's not exactly a pleasent place to be (especially if
      you're in the second row)

      Martin
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002

        Good point!

        Considering that they’re Japanese I would guess they haven’t! J

        --Mike

      • Mark.Parssey@dpiwe.tas.gov.au
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002

          The Japanese have a strong rugby tradition and have taken part in the last couple of world cups.

          It is very much like US rugby in that it is popular in the Universities but  doesn't have a high level of recognition outside those areas.

          I have actually been interested in bringing the two topics together again as much has been made by Eddy Jones (coach of World Champion Wallabies) about the need for agile processes. Players who can react to the situation in front of them instead of relying of standard prcoesses and the need for multi-skilling where all team members are able to take on different tasks as required for the project/game at that time.

          He is very much on about the value of the individual, and not being overwhelmed by methodology.

          Mark

          PS Martin, I remember making a similar comment about the joys of being in the second row at a cooaching session given by Col Maxwell (then ACT & Queanbeyan coach, mentor of David  Campese) and being given a lecture on how 2nd rowers were the salt of the earth without whom rugby would not be possible - no scrums, no lineouts,...

          "Mike Cohn" <mike@...>

          12/07/2002 02:15 PM
          Please respond to scrumdevelopment

                  To:        <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
                  cc:

          Good point!

          Considering that they're Japanese I would guess they haven't! J

          --Mike

          Re: [scrumdevelopment] New Article: "Rugby, Anyone?" by Brian Noyes

          What I want to know is whether the people who coined the term Scrum have
          ever been in one. It's not exactly a pleasent place to be (especially if
          you're in the second row)

          Martin

          Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        • Ken Schwaber
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2002
            Since they are Japanese, I would have to wonder also.
            Ken