Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum, XP and Lean - Key differences

  • Jesse Fewell
    Message 1 of 56 , Aug 4, 2009
      >> Does anybody knows about any book, article or blog that talks
      >> about differences among Scrum, XP, and Lean? I'm working on
      >> a comparative analysis and I'm needing something that I can quote.
      http://martinfowler.com/articles/newMethodology.html came up among the first few hits on google.

    • Tobias Mayer
      Message 56 of 56 , Aug 8, 2009
        Nice list Ron, thanks for sharing that.  I'd like to see something more specific about Courage and Risk-taking on the list, and think maybe Confidence is absorbed by Supportive Culture.  That'll keep it to seven things :-)

        Ron Jeffries wrote:

        Hello, Peter. On Saturday, August 8, 2009, at 3:38:24 PM, you

        > AFAIK, XP doens't have any certification program whatsoever. On the one
        > hand, that fits with the philosophy of its proponents. On the other, it
        > is probably a major reason why XP has lost traction to Scrum
        > <http://www.scrum- breakfast. com/2008/ 08/has-scrum- supplanted- xp.html>
        > over the last 4 years as the leading Agile framework.

        There's no doubt that the certification has been a brilliant
        marketing scheme. (And the course is a good one as well ...
        especially the way Chet and I teach it.)

        However, it's well known that XP-style practices are very important
        to doing Scrum well, and there is, in addition, an upswelling of
        interest in technical practices as part of what a developer should

        There is a lot more than just some designing and coding and testing,
        however, to being an effective team member. A few of us have been
        talking about the dimensions of quality of an Agile developer and
        have come up with these:

        Product Sense -- understanding of the domain;
        Collaboration -- the ability to work skillfully as part of a team;
        Focus on Business Value -- steady flow based on business priority;
        Supportive Culture -- experiment and improve, never blame
        Confidence -- growing certainty and clarity about what is done;
        Technical Excellence -- solid software build sustainably;
        Self Improvement -- learning and sharing, team and individuals;

        As you can imagine, a focus on these amounts to a lifetime
        commitment. And that is as it should be.

        Ron Jeffries
        www.XProgramming. com
        www.xprogramming. com/blog
        New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
        the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
        them?" -- H. G. Wells