Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: At what point would you correct the team?

  • victor oliveira
    Message 1 of 148 , Aug 3 12:36 PM
      Ilja,

         On the "egoists" label, I'm generally very much against labels. I don't think behavior can be separated from the perspective of the observer.
         I used it as a reply where egoist was used originally, my mistake not to clarify that and continue with the label. I honestly thought about more or less this point when I wrote the first reply, but I thought it was more important to clear the matter of the use of force. The label clarification would deviate the discussion from the point I was trying to make.
         I agree that the label does not help on solving the "problem". I don't even think it is a problem.
         Thinking of it backwards, a person with more perceived conflicts and difference of opinion tends to be labeled more often.
         If the difference of opinion seems (to the observers) to be often in the thought of self first, team, project and company later, that person ends up being labeled as selfish and egoistic. Even if these are very specific events.
         In this case, the others, think that convincing is needed. I'll also think on your point here in future events, indeed very well put.

      Best Regards,
      Victor Hugo de Oliveira

      Scrum & Agile Blog
      http://csvo.wordpress.com

      Concrete Solutions
      new edition: http://www.concretesolutions.com.br/index_eng/

      On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 7:04 AM, Ilja Preuß <iljapreuss@...> wrote:

      Hi Victor,

      I felt uncomfortable with your statement regarding "egoists", and it
      took me quite a while to figure out why exactly.

      First, I feel that putting the label "egoist" on people is probably
      not a good idea if I want to get into a productive relationship with
      them. Perhaps it's just me, but when I use that term, it typically
      means that I pidgeonholed someone. Using that stereotype helps me
      explain someones behavior, but it doesn't help at all really
      *understanding* it - let alone improving the relationship.

      This is amplified by the fact that for me it also is a strongly
      judgemental statement: it's certainly the "egoist" who is wrong. If
      just *he* wouldn't be so egoistical, everything could be fine. That
      also seems to be reflected in your statement that those people need
      more coaching and "convincing". But in fact, an "egoist" is just
      someone who possibly doesn't share all of my values, or perhaps just
      has some strong needs I don't see and/or misinterprete. How much more
      egocentric could I get?

      I hope that in the future, when I perceive someone as egoistical, I
      will remember that it might just be me who needs some coaching. That
      might enable me to get into a constructive conversation about our both
      needs, and how we can evolve our relationship so that everyone
      benefits.

      Thanks for making me think,

      Ilja

    • victor oliveira