"Sentence Points": an interactive approach to educating about Agile, Scrum, velocity and burndown

  • Joshua Gough
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hello everyone,

      I've been working on an article that aims at educating readers about Agile and Scrum in a very interactive way by having the reader track their own velocity while reading the Agile Manifesto using "Sentence Points".

      The main idea is to immerse the reader into a "microcosm" of both a waterfall and an agile project.

      A "sentence point" is conceptually similar to a Story Point, but really it's just a number of how many sentences the reader can complete out of a given group of sentences in a 20 second "iteration".

      The draft so far is at: http://agilefromthegroundup.blogspot.com/2009/07/experience-benefits-of-agile-compared.html

      The iteration tracker that pops up is heavily under development, though it works partially.

      The way it will ultimately work is this:

      1) Have the reader role-play and measure their own attempt to meet an arbitrary deadline by reading aloud the definition of Waterfall Development, for a fictitious podcast about software methodologies that must fit within 90 seconds.

      2) When that arbitrary deadline fails, have the reader role-play now as being part of a scrum team which measures its progress in "Sentence" points, defined as the number of sentences the reader can complete in any 20-second "iteration".

      The article will feature a built-in tracker, which will tally a sentence "completed" whenever the user hits the "b" key to burn the sentence.

      I'm seeking any constructive criticism or tips anyone might have before I publish this to a wider audience.

      Thank you!
      Josh Gough