product vs. project

  • Victor Szalvay
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 11:55 AM
      We've been examining the terms/vocabulary in Scrum pretty carefully
      the last few months and I wanted to ask the group about the term
      "Product". It's widely used (product backlog, for example) in the
      books and on this group, but I wonder if it's somewhat exclusionary.
      Scrum can be used for more than just product development, so the term
      loses value in cases like event planning, sales, business process
      re-engineering, etc.

      Is a term like "project" more generalized? I hope I'm not splitting
      hairs here. I'd just like to see Scrum applied diversely.
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 4:34 PM
        Scrum came from building software products for sale. Hence, product.
        However, I've found that all projects, even marketing campaigns, result in
        deliverables, or products. So, I've found that the word product is still
        relevant.
        Ken