Re: [scrumdevelopment] Concrete proposal for a Scrum user group?

  • Amanda Abelove
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2009
      LA is a very different scene... The guys down in OC will have no
      problem with their group... they will be able to get a board room and
      the parking is free. Once you have a venue, you can get recruiters to
      chip in for pizza.

      LA is weird... there are so very many groups here that if you charge
      for meetings, people don't show unless it is really good professional
      networking... which means $75 a ticket, cocktail reception, and
      sponsor money as part of a planned PR program for specific vendors.

      If you charge a small amount for tickets people assume nobody worth
      hearing from is speaking or there would be sponsors and nobody comes.
      We're on meetup.com... We tried charging $15 a meeting. Not enough
      people register to offset cost, or make it worth it for speakers to
      come out... so we end up giving out discount codes as free passes to
      get people there and make it worth it for the speaker. Plus people
      don't RSVP ahead and just show, so unless you have a "bouncer", you
      can't charge at the door. That's another cost... because anyone who
      will be a bouncer for free actually wants to be in the room for the
      speaker and a lot of people come late.

      Plus I find that with Agile and Scrum, it isn't like a PHP or Java
      group... When I go to those, I can talk to anyone and get connected
      with something I need or someone I want to talk to, or help someone
      else solve a problem. With Agile and Scrum... it's a big
      conversation... my members all kind of know it a little, but there is
      so much confusion and different experiences they can't help each other
      learn anything about it that makes it something they want to keep
      coming back to.

      - A

      --
      -Amanda