Burnup Velocity

  • Parag
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
      Hi,

      Can anybody provide details regarding burnup velocity. I want to come out with somesort of matrix which provides data related to estimated effort v/s actual effort.

      I know generally velocity is linked with story points, but do v have some articles giving details of velocity been linked to efforts.

      Regards,
      Parag
    • rashmix_jha
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2009
        Hi Parag,

        Burn-up chart and Velocity are two different terms. One can be used to track the another. When we use a burn-up chart, it can indicate the status(estimated vs. actual) and velocity (rate of progress).

        In your case, your req. is to be able to plot data related to estimated effort v/s actual effort and a Burn-up chart can be used to achieve that.

        If we plot either relative work units or % complete on the vertical axis, and calendar time on the horizontal and then draw a line from the origin to the completion point, either by estimating the rate at which work can be accomplished, or against a deadline. That will reflect the planned progress.

        After each iteration, if we mark how much relative work got completed, we will have the actual progress line.

        You can refer to this link for some more advantages of burn-up charts with an example:

        http://alistair.cockburn.us/Earned-value+and+burn+charts

        I hope I understood your requirement correctly.

        Thanks,
        Rashmi
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Parag" <parag.gadhia@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Can anybody provide details regarding burnup velocity. I want to come out with somesort of matrix which provides data related to estimated effort v/s actual effort.
        >
        > I know generally velocity is linked with story points, but do v have some articles giving details of velocity been linked to efforts.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Parag

      • jmilunsky
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2009
          Take a look at the following blog post ... this may help you

          http://www.stateofflow.com/journal/51/estimation-xperiment

          But to be honest I don't think what you really care about is to be able to reach a semi-stable velocity per iteration i.e. story points per week or per month (whatever your sprint length is).

          Once you know that it's easy to plan. Best to focus on coding rather than measuring.

          Hope this helps

          Jack
          www.agilebuddy.com
          blog.agilebuddy.com
          twitter.com/agilebuddy

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Parag" <parag.gadhia@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Can anybody provide details regarding burnup velocity. I want to come out with somesort of matrix which provides data related to estimated effort v/s actual effort.
          >
          > I know generally velocity is linked with story points, but do v have some articles giving details of velocity been linked to efforts.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Parag

        • jmilunsky
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2009
            Velocity is defined as story points/time

            i.e. if your sprint is 1 week then your velocity is in story points/week

            The burnup is your accumulated velocity over time

            Jack
            www.agilebuddy.com
            blog.agilebuddy.com
            twitter.com/agilebuddy