[scrumdevelopment] Extreme Programming

  • VIRMAN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2000
      Is anyone familiar with Extreme Programming? I'm trying to pull together an
      interaction mapping so we can see how they mutually support each other.
      Ken Schwaber
    • Marc Perrone
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2000
        Ken,

        While at Rockwell Automation/Allen-Bradley, I worked for Ron Jeffries. Ron
        has gone on to become one of the chief proponents of Extreme Programming
        (under the tutelage of Kent Beck) and has used it on the Chrysler payroll
        project (he consults to Chrysler).

        Ron maintains a good Extreme Programming web site at
        http://www.xprogramming.com You can email him at ronjeffries@... --
        feel free to mention my name if you want. I've mentioned SCRUM to Ron once
        or twice in the past, though we haven't had a chance to talk about it in any
        great detail.

        Ron is probably easier to get hold of than Kent Beck and is very articulate.
        Good luck!

        --mvp

        Marc Perrone
        Director of Engineering
        ProofSpace, Inc.
        312/925-8613
        marc@... <mailto:marc@...>

      • Yonat Sharon
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2000
          VIRMAN@... wrote:
          > Is anyone familiar with Extreme Programming?

          It seems to me that XP adds several programming-specific practices to
          Scrum. Seen from another angle, Scrum is the part of XP that is not
          programming-specific.

          > I'm trying to pull together an interaction mapping so we can see how
          > they mutually support each other.

          I think several practices are essentially the same, other are partly
          similar:

          1. The Backlog is equivalent to XP's stack of cards with User Stories
          and
          Engineering Tasks. Both simplify project planning enough to make it
          easy to change.

          2. The Daily Scrum Meeting is equivalent to XP's Standup Meeting.

          3. Sprints are equivalent to XP's iterations.

          4. The Scrum Master is similar to XP's coach.

          5. Chickens and Pigs can have the end result of XP's Customer On Site.

          --
          Have fun,
          Yonat.

          "The nice thing about standards is that
          there are so many of them to choose from."
          -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum
        • VIRMAN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2000
            Thanks for the help.