How to implement Scrum with an automated tool

  • aliciayanik0724
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
      I'm new to Scrum and am working with our product manager to
      implement it. He is excited to use Scrum but is very eager to find
      a tool that will maintain the product backlog, spring backlog,
      release schedules and documentation. I think this is a bit
      overzealous but am willing to see what is out there. Any advice?
      Past experiences are welcome and very helpfu.
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
        Hi Alicia--
        The most common tool is one you may have heard of--Microsoft Excel! I've got
        a sample of how to use it at
        http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/resources.php

        Note cards are a popular alternative, and my preference if you have a
        collocated team.

        There is commercial software available from www.versionone.net and
        www.rallydev.com. Another company (www.scrumworks.com) is working on a tool
        but it isn't out yet.

        Others have report success with the open source XPlanner project.

        Others have developed more powerful Excel spreadsheets or even the
        "ScrumWiki" which is at http://scrumwiki.org/.

        Is there some specific attribute of your project that leads you away from
        something very easy like Excel or note cards? They don't seem very
        sophisticated but they work quite well.

        --Mike Cohn
        www.userstories.com
        www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

        I'm new to Scrum and am working with our product manager to
        implement it. He is excited to use Scrum but is very eager to find
        a tool that will maintain the product backlog, spring backlog,
        release schedules and documentation. I think this is a bit
        overzealous but am willing to see what is out there. Any advice?
        Past experiences are welcome and very helpfu.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • aliciayanik0724
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
          Hi Mike,

          Our product manager doesn't think Excel is powerful enough, nor does
          he think he can create a product backlog, sprint backlog and release
          schedule all in one place through Excel. Additionally, he believes
          in order to actually manage the product backlog (meaning prioritize
          it), he needs information that is contained in a specifications
          document that he would like "attached" to the product backlog item.

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Alicia--
          > The most common tool is one you may have heard of--Microsoft
          Excel! I've got
          > a sample of how to use it at
          > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/resources.php
          >
          > Note cards are a popular alternative, and my preference if you
          have a
          > collocated team.
          >
          > There is commercial software available from www.versionone.net and
          > www.rallydev.com. Another company (www.scrumworks.com) is working
          on a tool
          > but it isn't out yet.
          >
          > Others have report success with the open source XPlanner project.
          >
          > Others have developed more powerful Excel spreadsheets or even the
          > "ScrumWiki" which is at http://scrumwiki.org/.
          >
          > Is there some specific attribute of your project that leads you
          away from
          > something very easy like Excel or note cards? They don't seem very
          > sophisticated but they work quite well.
          >
          > --Mike Cohn
          > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
          > www.userstories.com
          > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

        • Mike Cohn
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
            I can understand that. I'd try just a basic wiki then to start. The wiki can
            list the items and can include weblinks to other documents (even XLS or DOC
            files) and other pages. Each backlog item could be fully explained on a wiki
            page if desired, for example.

            I'd work on convincing your boss that the best approach is to start light
            and add based on what you find you need rather than to start heavy and
            lighten.

            Please let us know how it goes. Your experience with this could be a great
            short article (even 1 page would be useful) for the revamped
            www.scrumalliance.org site once it's back up. I hear from many new CSMs or
            new ScrumMasters that they don't know what to write to help build a body of
            knowledge around Scrum. But even a short experience report on what you did,
            what you learned, what you'd do again, and what you wouldn't do again, would
            be very useful and starts to build up this body of knowledge for all of us
            to benefit from.

            --Mike Cohn
            www.userstories.com

            wrote:
            > Hi Alicia--
            > The most common tool is one you may have heard of--Microsoft
            Excel! I've got
            > a sample of how to use it at
            > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/resources.php
            >
            > Note cards are a popular alternative, and my preference if you
            have a
            > collocated team.
            >
            > There is commercial software available from www.versionone.net and
            > www.rallydev.com. Another company (www.scrumworks.com) is working
            on a tool
            > but it isn't out yet.
            >
            > Others have report success with the open source XPlanner project.
            >
            > Others have developed more powerful Excel spreadsheets or even the
            > "ScrumWiki" which is at http://scrumwiki.org/.
            >
            > Is there some specific attribute of your project that leads you
            away from
            > something very easy like Excel or note cards? They don't seem very
            > sophisticated but they work quite well.
            >
            > --Mike Cohn
            > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
            > www.userstories.com
            > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Mike Dwyer
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004

              Alicia

              The only tools we use are excel and word.  Right now we run both new as well as released software through it and are able to keep up with a 25% growth rate.  We also use it in our technical support and problem mgt area where we have a maintained 99%+ closed rate and a customer sat level that is very hard to live up to – and it is improving.

              The trick is put the guesswork into the spreadsheet and use the SCRUM to move forward.

              Mike Dwyer

              wrote:
              > Hi Alicia--
              > The most common tool is one you may have heard of--Microsoft
              Excel! I've got
              > a sample of how to use it at
              > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/resources.php
              >
              > Note cards are a popular alternative, and my preference if you
              have a
              > collocated team.
              >
              > There is commercial software available from www.versionone.net and
              > www.rallydev.com.  Another company (www.scrumworks.com) is working
              on a tool
              > but it isn't out yet.
              >
              > Others have report success with the open source XPlanner project.
              >
              > Others have developed more powerful Excel spreadsheets or even the
              > "ScrumWiki" which is at http://scrumwiki.org/.
              >
              > Is there some specific attribute of your project that leads you
              away from
              > something very easy like Excel or note cards? They don't seem very
              > sophisticated but they work quite well.
              >
              > --Mike Cohn
              > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
              > www.userstories.com
              > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

            • aliciayanik0724
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
                Thanks for the ideas. The pushback is coming from product
                management, not my boss. And he thinks we need to have things fully
                automated and designed in the beginning (sound like a bit of
                waterfall thinking to you?). I'll work with him on implementing a
                wiki and see how it goes.

                Regarding writing an article....I'd be happy to help other new
                CSM's.

                wrote:
                > I can understand that. I'd try just a basic wiki then to start.
                The wiki can
                > list the items and can include weblinks to other documents (even
                XLS or DOC
                > files) and other pages. Each backlog item could be fully explained
                on a wiki
                > page if desired, for example.
                >
                > I'd work on convincing your boss that the best approach is to
                start light
                > and add based on what you find you need rather than to start heavy
                and
                > lighten.
                >
                > Please let us know how it goes. Your experience with this could be
                a great
                > short article (even 1 page would be useful) for the revamped
                > www.scrumalliance.org site once it's back up. I hear from many new
                CSMs or
                > new ScrumMasters that they don't know what to write to help build
                a body of
                > knowledge around Scrum. But even a short experience report on what
                you did,
                > what you learned, what you'd do again, and what you wouldn't do
                again, would
                > be very useful and starts to build up this body of knowledge for
                all of us
                > to benefit from.
                >
                > --Mike Cohn
                > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
                > www.userstories.com
                > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

              • Michael Bannen
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
                  Message
                  Maybe suggest that you 'prototype' it in Excel first, and the buy or build something once, through the prototyping process, you have decided what it is that you want. To invest time in buying or build a tool before you know what you want is kinda not agile :)

                  wrote:
                  > I can understand that. I'd try just a basic wiki then to start.
                  The wiki can
                  > list the items and can include weblinks to other documents (even
                  XLS or DOC
                  > files) and other pages. Each backlog item could be fully explained
                  on a wiki
                  > page if desired, for example.
                  >
                  > I'd work on convincing your boss that the best approach is to
                  start light
                  > and add based on what you find you need rather than to start heavy
                  and
                  > lighten.
                  >
                  > Please let us know how it goes. Your experience with this could be
                  a great
                  > short article (even 1 page would be useful) for the revamped
                  > www.scrumalliance.org site once it's back up. I hear from many new
                  CSMs or
                  > new ScrumMasters that they don't know what to write to help build
                  a body of
                  > knowledge around Scrum. But even a short experience report on what
                  you did,
                  > what you learned, what you'd do again, and what you wouldn't do
                  again, would
                  > be very useful and starts to build up this body of knowledge for
                  all of us
                  > to benefit from.
                  >
                  > --Mike Cohn
                  > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
                  > www.userstories.com
                  > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                • Mike Cohn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
                    Great--thanks for writing it up later.

                    --Mike Cohn
                    www.userstories.com

                    wrote:
                    > I can understand that. I'd try just a basic wiki then to start.
                    The wiki can
                    > list the items and can include weblinks to other documents (even
                    XLS or DOC
                    > files) and other pages. Each backlog item could be fully explained
                    on a wiki
                    > page if desired, for example.
                    >
                    > I'd work on convincing your boss that the best approach is to
                    start light
                    > and add based on what you find you need rather than to start heavy
                    and
                    > lighten.
                    >
                    > Please let us know how it goes. Your experience with this could be
                    a great
                    > short article (even 1 page would be useful) for the revamped
                    > www.scrumalliance.org site once it's back up. I hear from many new
                    CSMs or
                    > new ScrumMasters that they don't know what to write to help build
                    a body of
                    > knowledge around Scrum. But even a short experience report on what
                    you did,
                    > what you learned, what you'd do again, and what you wouldn't do
                    again, would
                    > be very useful and starts to build up this body of knowledge for
                    all of us
                    > to benefit from.
                    >
                    > --Mike Cohn
                    > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
                    > www.userstories.com
                    > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Ken Schwaber
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
                      Alicia,
                      Tell your product manager to try it with Excel first. That way he can find
                      out his requirements by what is missing. Otherwise, he is going to buy a
                      tool and let it drive how he runs his business.
                      Ken

                      wrote:
                      > Hi Alicia--
                      > The most common tool is one you may have heard of--Microsoft
                      Excel! I've got
                      > a sample of how to use it at
                      > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/resources.php
                      >
                      > Note cards are a popular alternative, and my preference if you
                      have a
                      > collocated team.
                      >
                      > There is commercial software available from www.versionone.net and
                      > www.rallydev.com. Another company (www.scrumworks.com) is working
                      on a tool
                      > but it isn't out yet.
                      >
                      > Others have report success with the open source XPlanner project.
                      >
                      > Others have developed more powerful Excel spreadsheets or even the
                      > "ScrumWiki" which is at http://scrumwiki.org/.
                      >
                      > Is there some specific attribute of your project that leads you
                      away from
                      > something very easy like Excel or note cards? They don't seem very
                      > sophisticated but they work quite well.
                      >
                      > --Mike Cohn
                      > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
                      > www.userstories.com
                      > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Ken Schwaber
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
                        I forgot to post this implementation of backlog on Excel that Kfir Waldman
                        from Cisco donated.
                        Ken

                        wrote:
                        > I can understand that. I'd try just a basic wiki then to start.
                        The wiki can
                        > list the items and can include weblinks to other documents (even
                        XLS or DOC
                        > files) and other pages. Each backlog item could be fully explained
                        on a wiki
                        > page if desired, for example.
                        >
                        > I'd work on convincing your boss that the best approach is to
                        start light
                        > and add based on what you find you need rather than to start heavy
                        and
                        > lighten.
                        >
                        > Please let us know how it goes. Your experience with this could be
                        a great
                        > short article (even 1 page would be useful) for the revamped
                        > www.scrumalliance.org site once it's back up. I hear from many new
                        CSMs or
                        > new ScrumMasters that they don't know what to write to help build
                        a body of
                        > knowledge around Scrum. But even a short experience report on what
                        you did,
                        > what you learned, what you'd do again, and what you wouldn't do
                        again, would
                        > be very useful and starts to build up this body of knowledge for
                        all of us
                        > to benefit from.
                        >
                        > --Mike Cohn
                        > Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
                        > www.userstories.com
                        > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
                          Alicia,

                          You don't need any automation to do Scrum. Gilligan
                          and Skipper could have (or maybe should have) used
                          it to construct a boat to get off the island. Empty
                          halves of coconuts, 3x5 cards, Excel spreadsheets, etc.
                          will work pretty well.

                          We're working on a tool called ScrumWorks that will make
                          the process easier, and more palatable to your management.
                          As Mike Cohn wrote, it's not ready yet. It's in beta now,
                          and will be available next month for XP Universe.

                          This evening I posted a couple of our most recent mockups
                          here:

                          There's also an online demo available, but we're moving
                          so fast it's already way out of date.

                          Does anyone else have a requirement to attach documents
                          to product backlog items? We're thinking of supporting this
                          with URLs instead. That seems more flexible to me -- for
                          instance an item could be linked to an online document or
                          an entry in a bug tracking system.

                          Michael

                          Michael James
                          Software Architect
                          Danube Technologies, Inc.
                        • dave@hosticks.freeserve.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
                            Alicia,

                            Have a look at XPlanner (www.xplanner.org) - I've been using this for 6 months now and it's very good - I create an iteration for the pregame, each sprints, the postgame, and the backlog.

                            Dave

                            --

                            Whatever you Wanadoo:
                            http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

                          • Boris Gloger
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 27, 2004
                              Hi - I have very nice results with using Xplanner - although it has
                              some drawbacks - you can not really use it to change the estimates
                              every day. But it is great to track the actuals and give you an
                              overview about what is happening.
                              Scrumwiki.org is great also - but do not track actuals and does not
                              have all the nice report features and the possibility to get the data
                              via SOAP interface
                              If you need a very nice and sophisticated product use versionone. Or
                              wait for ScrumWorks - I am in evaluation of this product and the first
                              version looks pretty cool.

                              boris

                              On 27.07.2004, at 08:41, dave@... wrote:

                              > Alicia,
                              >
                              > Have a look at XPlanner (www.xplanner.org) - I've been using this for
                              > 6 months now and it's very good - I create an iteration for the
                              > pregame, each sprints, the postgame, and the backlog.
                              >
                              > Dave
                              >

                              >> Message date : Jul 26 2004, 08:49 PM
                              >> From : "aliciayanik0724" <aliciayanik0724@...>
                              >> To : scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                              >> Copy to :
                              >> Subject : [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to implement Scrum with an
                              >> automated tool
                              >>
                              >> Hi Mike,
                              >>
                              >> Our product manager doesn't think Excel is powerful enough, nor does
                              >> he think he can create a product backlog, sprint backlog and release
                              >> schedule all in one place through Excel. Additionally, he believes
                              >> in order to actually manage the product backlog (meaning prioritize
                              >> it), he needs information that is contained in a specifications
                              >> document that he would like "attached" to the product backlog item.
                              >>
                              >> --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
                              >> wrote:
                              >>> Hi Alicia--
                              >>> The most common tool is one you may have heard of--Microsoft
                              >> Excel! I've got
                              >>> a sample of how to use it at
                              >>> http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/resources.php
                              >>>
                              >>> Note cards are a popular alternative, and my preference if you
                              >> have a
                              >>> collocated team.
                              >>>
                              >>> There is commercial software available from www.versionone.net and
                              >>> www.rallydev.com. Another company (www.scrumworks.com) is working
                              >> on a tool
                              >>> but it isn't out yet.
                              >>>
                              >>> Others have report success with the open source XPlanner project.
                              >>>
                              >>> Others have developed more powerful Excel spreadsheets or even the
                              >>> "ScrumWiki" which is at http://scrumwiki.org/.
                              >>>
                              >>> Is there some specific attribute of your project that leads you
                              >> away from
                              >>> something very easy like Excel or note cards? They don't seem very
                              >>> sophisticated but they work quite well.
                              >>>
                              >>> --Mike Cohn
                              >>> Author of User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development
                              >>> www.userstories.com
                              >>> www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                              Mag. Boris Gloger
                              m.: +43.664.500.3436
                              Certified Scrum Master Practitioner and Trainer

                              Visit my Scrum Tutorial @ euroCMG Vienna:
                              http://www.cmg-ae.at/data/downloads/euroCMG2004.pdf
                              Next Scrum Certification Class: 4. and 5.10.2004, Vienna
                            • David A Barrett
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 27, 2004
                                >Our product manager doesn't think Excel is powerful enough, nor does
                                >he think he can create a product backlog, sprint backlog and release
                                >schedule all in one place through Excel. Additionally, he believes
                                >in order to actually manage the product backlog (meaning prioritize
                                >it), he needs information that is contained in a specifications
                                >document that he would like "attached" to the product backlog item.

                                Alicia,

                                All kinds of alarm bells went off when I read this. Somewhere the point of
                                Scrum has been missed big time.

                                First off, Scrum isn't about technology tools and you shouldn't feel like
                                you're going to fail because you can't bring enough technology "power" into
                                the picture. I know it's not you, it's the product manager, but this kind
                                of thinking is so far off base it's hard to see how you could ever come up
                                with a "win" out of this situation. Ken described a new Scrum Master who
                                was using the daily scrum to dole out tasks to the team members, rather
                                than letting them self-organize. This, to me, seems to be a
                                misunderstanding on the same magnitude as that.

                                You might want to push back on the technology all together. Put the
                                release schedule, product and sprint backlogs on a whiteboard instead.

                                Equally worrying is the idea of having a "specifications document" attached
                                to each product backlog item. Eeek! Scarier yet is the idea that you need
                                that document to decide the priority of the PB item. First off, who's
                                wasting time writing up specifications documents for PB items that may
                                never, ever be started? On that same topic, what makes anyone think that
                                the specifications document is going to be even remotely accurate by the
                                time the PB items does get started? Once again, this goes right to the
                                heart of Scrum, and your product manager (eventually) needs to understand
                                this.

                                The hidden hurdle here is the attachment to artifacts. Go read the Agile
                                Manifesto. PB items should have just enough information attached to them
                                to ensure that the following three things are understood by everyone:

                                1. A basic understanding of what the item is about.
                                2. The importance of the PB item.
                                3. A ROUGH estimate of who much work it will take to complete (order of
                                magnitude is good enough - hours, days, weeks or months)

                                You might want to push back on the technology all together. Put the
                                release schedule, product and sprint backlogs on a whiteboard instead.

                                The scariest part (from the Scrum Master or, Product Owner point of view)
                                of implementing Scrum is LETTING GO. This is especially hard for people
                                like me, and your product manager who are control freaks. The idea of
                                Scrum is not to make it easier for you to micro-manage, but to increase the
                                visibility of issues and priorities and let the team figure out how to deal
                                with them.

                                You might want to push back on the technology all together. Put the
                                release schedule, product and sprint backlogs on a whiteboard instead.

                                I'm quite serious about this. I bet you could easily identify and list the
                                most important items you need to get done ASAP. I bet every team member
                                has a surprisingly accurate gut feeling about how long each one will take
                                to complete. Unless your team has dozens of people in it, I bet you could
                                write every one of those top priority items on a single white board. Do
                                that, and then let the team decide how many they can actually finish in a
                                single sprint. Write those on the left side of the white board, and
                                anything left over on the right side. The left side is your Sprint
                                Backlog, and the right side is your initial Product Backlog. Let people
                                add anything they want to the right side of the board throughout the
                                Sprint. I wouldn't bother with a release schedule until the people
                                involved start to experience the rhythmn of Scrum.

                                Dave Barrett,
                                Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company