Fact (was Re: Backlog is a Universal Concept)

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2002
      Ward wrote :

      > > Good ideas tend to evolve simultaneously in multiple places. [...]
      >
      > Interesting note: This week's Science (p1010) notes work reported at a
      > recent Cold Spring Harbor meeting that suggests eyes had a
      > common origin [...]

      Just goes to show, as one of my favorite writers has it (except I
      can't remember which one, probably Dennett) you want to be careful
      when you try to justify something by appealing to a supposed "fact"
      of science, it might always turn out not to be true. I think Metaphor
      (in the broad sense, thus including analogy) is the original
      Forbidden Fruit : dangerous but oh so juicy.

      (Please note I'm not subscribed to the SCRUM list... Though it looks
      as if I might like to hang around here for a while, to stock up on
      new memes. Not that the XP list is in any danger of going stale, but
      i's just too much work to keep up with *that*.)

      Cheers,

      -[Morendil]-
      Press any key to continue or any other key to quit