Re: [scrumdevelopment] Distributed SCRUM

  • Michael Vizdos
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
      Is "Don't do it this way" an option?

      What are some other options?

      Thank you,

      - Mike
      www.michaelvizdos.com
      www.implementingscrum.com

      On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM,
      jayanthkalanje<jayanth.kalanje@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > We are trying to put in placeSCRUM process for our teams which are located
      > at US and India, and one of the most difficult part is on deciding the
      > meeting time. I have the following details -
      >
      > Teams - There are 2 SCRUM teams consisting of the following:
      >
      > Solution Analysts - Only in US act as Product Owners
      > Framework Architects - Only in US
      > Software Engineers - Only in India
      > Test Engineers - Only in India
      > Technical Leads - Only in India
      >
      > 2 SCRUM master (one each in US and India)
      >
      > We are planning to go for a 2 weeks Sprint and stuck up with deciding the
      > meeting times for -
      > Sprint Planning
      > Sprint Review
      > Sprint Retro
      >
      > US comes in CST timezone.
      >
      > If anyone is or has worked on these things appreciate your guidance.
      >
      > Thanks in advance

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
        Distributed teams can work with Agile. However, you seem to be
        describing a team where nearly all of the business knowledge is in one
        place (US) and nearly all of the technical knowledge is in another
        (India.) It will be very hard to make this work in an Agile way. Would
        it be possible to hire/relocate some business folks in/to India?
        Technical folks in the US?

        If you can have technical folks interacting with business folks in
        each location and then some activity to coordinate those efforts -
        similar to what it sounds like you have with the Scrummasters - then
        you are far more likely to be successful. Plus, you won't need to
        spend nearly as much time with the whole team on the phone.

        On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:01 AM,