Re: Coordinating Scrum ceremonies when seperated by 10 1/2 hours

  • jmilunsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
      The best way to do this is to get the India folks, even just the more senior ones to come over to the US for the first 2 sprints. Get them acquainted with the project and the people and get them into the groove. Then when they go back they're already familiar with the process the culture and have a good feel for the project.

      Next it would be best to have the India Team working on their own pieces of functionality so that they can run their own scrums and not have to be too dependent on the US folks. SO try to split the work across really well defined boundaries. Try let them deal with a complete vertical slice of the code or if there are crystal clear interface definitions then it just makes the division of tasks so much easier. Then you can have a very short scrum of scrums at a time that is convenient for both parties.

      Also, it's probably a good idea that a senior developer from the US go to India from time to time to keep the teams synchronized

      Hope this helps
      Jack
      www.agilebuddy.com
      blog.agilebuddy.com
      twitter.com/agilebuddy

      can hold their own scrums

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Hank Roark <Hank.Roark@...> wrote:

      > I have a very tactical question and am looking for any advice from
      > others on what has worked for them in the past.
      >
      > I have a team of 8 people, four in the US on Central (Daylight)
      > Timezone, four in India on India Standard Time. The team members in
      > India are 10 1/2 hours ahead of the team members in the US.
      >
      > I am looking for suggestions on how to coordinate Sprint Planning
      > (currently taking 6 hours for a 3 week sprint), Daily Scrum (as you
      > all know, 15 minutes), Sprint Review (time boxed to 1 hour), and
      > Retrospective (time boxed to 1 hour). Our sprints are 3 weeks long.
      >
      > Ideally all team members would be present for all four ceremonies (but
      > maybe that is not feasible...I don't know).
      >
      > Does anyone have suggestions / experiences on how they have dealt with
      > scheduling the Scrum ceremonies when the team is this far different in
      > time? Specifics would be helpful, if you don't mind sharing.
      >
      > (Yes, I know, make them co-located and solve my problems...that's an
      > organizational impediment that I cannot overcome right now...maybe in
      > the future...so I need to do the art of the possible for now.)
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Hank

    • Michael Vizdos
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
        Have you asked the team(s)?

        Thank you,

        - Mike Vizdos
        www.michaelvizdos.com
        www.implementingscrum.com

        On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Hank Roark<Hank.Roark@...> wrote:

        > I have a very tactical question and am looking for any advice from
        > others on what has worked for them in the past.
        >
        > I have a team of 8 people, four in the US on Central (Daylight)
        > Timezone, four in India on India Standard Time. The team members in
        > India are 10 1/2 hours ahead of the team members in the US.
        >
        > I am looking for suggestions on how to coordinate Sprint Planning
        > (currently taking 6 hours for a 3 week sprint), Daily Scrum (as you
        > all know, 15 minutes), Sprint Review (time boxed to 1 hour), and
        > Retrospective (time boxed to 1 hour). Our sprints are 3 weeks long.
        >
        > Ideally all team members would be present for all four ceremonies (but
        > maybe that is not feasible...I don't know).
        >
        > Does anyone have suggestions / experiences on how they have dealt with
        > scheduling the Scrum ceremonies when the team is this far different in
        > time? Specifics would be helpful, if you don't mind sharing.
        >
        > (Yes, I know, make them co-located and solve my problems...that's an
        > organizational impediment that I cannot overcome right now...maybe in
        > the future...so I need to do the art of the possible for now.)
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Hank

      • banshee858
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009

          > Have you asked the team(s)?

          I tend to agree with this idea. I have some of my own, but I would like to know what the people who are doing the work think.

          Carlton
        • Adam Sroka
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
            It is very important that each of the major roles be represented in
            each location (i.e. dev and PO). Having all of the POs in one country
            and all of the devs in another will not work in an Agile manner. At
            least consider hiring someone with the appropriate skill set to act as
            their local proxy.

            You might consider doing some portion of the meetings independently
            and then getting together to go over the results and coordinate. This
            would work particularly well if you do as I suggest above and have at
            least one dev and one PO in each location.

            For example, you could have each location estimate stories
            independently and then have the two teams meet to discuss what they'd
            come up with and resolve any differences. Similarly, you could do
            separate retrospectives and then a shorter combined one (Perhaps you
            could record each session so that interested parties could review what
            was discussed at the other location.)

            On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Hank Roark<Hank.Roark@...> wrote:

            > I have a very tactical question and am looking for any advice from
            > others on what has worked for them in the past.
            >
            > I have a team of 8 people, four in the US on Central (Daylight)
            > Timezone, four in India on India Standard Time. The team members in
            > India are 10 1/2 hours ahead of the team members in the US.
            >
            > I am looking for suggestions on how to coordinate Sprint Planning
            > (currently taking 6 hours for a 3 week sprint), Daily Scrum (as you
            > all know, 15 minutes), Sprint Review (time boxed to 1 hour), and
            > Retrospective (time boxed to 1 hour). Our sprints are 3 weeks long.
            >
            > Ideally all team members would be present for all four ceremonies (but
            > maybe that is not feasible...I don't know).
            >
            > Does anyone have suggestions / experiences on how they have dealt with
            > scheduling the Scrum ceremonies when the team is this far different in
            > time? Specifics would be helpful, if you don't mind sharing.
            >
            > (Yes, I know, make them co-located and solve my problems...that's an
            > organizational impediment that I cannot overcome right now...maybe in
            > the future...so I need to do the art of the possible for now.)
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Hank

          • Adam M
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
              Hi Hank,

              I have a similar problem but from Australia, we use an outsource company and the time difference is 6 hours (India is 6 hours behind us). We also have a further challenge of having our operational people (business experts) located in another State of Australia, we have had to become inventive when it comes to separation of teams using agile.

              We have at times paid for cabs fare to allow our Indian partners to arrive earlier at work and be able to join in the daily scrum and sprint planning sessions (using phone, Intranet share points and MS communicator to share documents and story boards). I have found this to be the most effective way to keep communication open and allow the ceremonies of scrum to go ahead with all participants.

              This is no silver bullet, but with a clamp down on speeding it is the best we can do at the moment.

              Hope this helps

              Adam

[...]

              Access Yahoo!7 Mail on your mobile. Anytime. Anywhere. Show me how.
            • Jojo Jacob
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009

                Hi,

                I need help in 2 things,

                1. Can anyone help me to get an excel template to prepare burn down chart? I know it is easily available on net, but not able to find an easy and flexible one.

                1. Please anyone can help me out in the Velocity calculation for a Sprint? What is the formula you normally apply for the same in terms of days on each stories / points for each stories?

                Thanks and Regards,

                Jojo Jacob

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Yes. No one seems happy right now, but no one seems really upset.
                  I'm just out looking for other objective data.

                  On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Michael Vizdos<mvizdos@...> wrote:
                  > Have you asked the team(s)?
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  >
                  > - Mike Vizdos
                  >  www.michaelvizdos.com
                  >  www.implementingscrum.com
                  >
                  > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Hank Roark<Hank.Roark@...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >> I have a very tactical question and am looking for any advice from
                  >> others on what has worked for them in the past.
                  >>
                  >> I have a team of 8 people, four in the US on Central (Daylight)
                  >> Timezone, four in India on India Standard Time. The team members in
                  >> India are 10 1/2 hours ahead of the team members in the US.
                  >>
                  >> I am looking for suggestions on how to coordinate Sprint Planning
                  >> (currently taking 6 hours for a 3 week sprint), Daily Scrum (as you
                  >> all know, 15 minutes), Sprint Review (time boxed to 1 hour), and
                  >> Retrospective (time boxed to 1 hour). Our sprints are 3 weeks long.
                  >>
                  >> Ideally all team members would be present for all four ceremonies (but
                  >> maybe that is not feasible...I don't know).
                  >>
                  >> Does anyone have suggestions / experiences on how they have dealt with
                  >> scheduling the Scrum ceremonies when the team is this far different in
                  >> time? Specifics would be helpful, if you don't mind sharing.
                  >>
                  >> (Yes, I know, make them co-located and solve my problems...that's an
                  >> organizational impediment that I cannot overcome right now...maybe in
                  >> the future...so I need to do the art of the possible for now.)
                  >>
                  >> Cheers,
                  >> Hank

                • Hank Roark
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
                    This is a 'feature' team, working on a single feature set.
                    Interesting this suggestion... it seems opposite to how I read the
                    SirsiDynix and Xebia case studies by Sutherland (of course, I don't
                    think the time differences were as big in his cases). I read them to
                    say that the feature team was distributed across at least two
                    locations and they somehow coordinated these ceremonies. Maybe I
                    misunderstood those papers.

                    We have had the folks visit each other and continue to do so (but they
                    have recently transitioned to Scrum, so the visits haven't necessarily
                    been in support of the transition). Good thoughts.

                    On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM, jmilunsky<jack@...> wrote:
                    > The best way to do this is to get the India folks, even just the more senior ones to come over to the US for the first 2 sprints. Get them acquainted with the project and the people and get them into the groove. Then when they go back they're already familiar with the process the culture and have a good feel for the project.
                    >
                    > Next it would be best to have the India Team working on their own pieces of functionality so that they can run their own scrums and not have to be too dependent on the US folks. SO try to split the work across really well defined boundaries. Try let them deal with a complete vertical slice of the code or if there are crystal clear interface definitions then it just makes the division of tasks so much easier. Then you can have a very short scrum of scrums at a time that is convenient for both parties.
                    >
                    > Also, it's probably a good idea that a senior developer from the US go to India from time to time to keep the teams synchronized
                    >
                    > Hope this helps
                    > Jack
                    > www.agilebuddy.com
                    > blog.agilebuddy.com
                    > twitter.com/agilebuddy
                    >

                    >  can hold their own scrums
                    >
                    > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Hank Roark <Hank.Roark@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I have a very tactical question and am looking for any advice from
                    >> others on what has worked for them in the past.
                    >>
                    >> I have a team of 8 people, four in the US on Central (Daylight)
                    >> Timezone, four in India on India Standard Time.  The team members in
                    >> India are 10 1/2 hours ahead of the team members in the US.
                    >>
                    >> I am looking for suggestions on how to coordinate Sprint Planning
                    >> (currently taking 6 hours for a 3 week sprint), Daily Scrum (as you
                    >> all know, 15 minutes), Sprint Review (time boxed to 1 hour), and
                    >> Retrospective (time boxed to 1 hour).  Our sprints are 3 weeks long.
                    >>
                    >> Ideally all team members would be present for all four ceremonies (but
                    >> maybe that is not feasible...I don't know).
                    >>
                    >> Does anyone have suggestions / experiences on how they have dealt with
                    >> scheduling the Scrum ceremonies when the team is this far different in
                    >> time? Specifics would be helpful, if you don't mind sharing.
                    >>
                    >> (Yes, I know, make them co-located and solve my problems...that's an
                    >> organizational impediment that I cannot overcome right now...maybe in
                    >> the future...so I need to do the art of the possible for now.)
                    >>
                    >> Cheers,
                    >> Hank

                  • Michael Vizdos
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
                      So is it apathy?

                      Part of the reason asking these basic questions is trying to get at
                      the root of the issue for your team.

                      Other answers here seem helpful, but in reality the team needs to make
                      a decision. And this does not seem to be happening for some reason.

                      Just my two cents.

                      Thank you.

                      - mike vizdos
                      www.michaelvizdos.com
                      www.implementingscrum.com

                      On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Hank Roark<Hank.Roark@...> wrote:

                      > Yes. No one seems happy right now, but no one seems really upset.
                      > I'm just out looking for other objective data.
                      >
                      > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Michael Vizdos<mvizdos@...> wrote:
                      >> Have you asked the team(s)?
                      >>
                      >> Thank you,
                      >>
                      >> - Mike Vizdos
                      >>  www.michaelvizdos.com
                      >>  www.implementingscrum.com
                      >>
                      >> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Hank Roark<Hank.Roark@...> wrote:
                      >>>

                      >>> I have a very tactical question and am looking for any advice from
                      >>> others on what has worked for them in the past.
                      >>>
                      >>> I have a team of 8 people, four in the US on Central (Daylight)
                      >>> Timezone, four in India on India Standard Time. The team members in
                      >>> India are 10 1/2 hours ahead of the team members in the US.
                      >>>
                      >>> I am looking for suggestions on how to coordinate Sprint Planning
                      >>> (currently taking 6 hours for a 3 week sprint), Daily Scrum (as you
                      >>> all know, 15 minutes), Sprint Review (time boxed to 1 hour), and
                      >>> Retrospective (time boxed to 1 hour). Our sprints are 3 weeks long.
                      >>>
                      >>> Ideally all team members would be present for all four ceremonies (but
                      >>> maybe that is not feasible...I don't know).
                      >>>
                      >>> Does anyone have suggestions / experiences on how they have dealt with
                      >>> scheduling the Scrum ceremonies when the team is this far different in
                      >>> time? Specifics would be helpful, if you don't mind sharing.
                      >>>
                      >>> (Yes, I know, make them co-located and solve my problems...that's an
                      >>> organizational impediment that I cannot overcome right now...maybe in
                      >>> the future...so I need to do the art of the possible for now.)
                      >>>
                      >>> Cheers,
                      >>> Hank

                    • Mark Levison
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 21, 2009
                        Sorry I was on vacation when this thread happened. I've encountered this on a couple of occasions the solution we used: each team holds separate events (planning, review/retrospectives, daily scrum). One representative from the other location joins the team meetings via teleconference and webcam, they report back to their local team mates what happened in that meeting. The same happens in the other direction. Its far from perfect but in the end you have two partially independant teams that at least are working with their distant counterparts.

                        I strongly prefer to have all team members at the all the events but that's not possible with this kind of a time difference.

                        Cheers
                        Mark