Re: [scrumdevelopment] Distributed SCRUM

  • Nick Xidis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
      We have similar situation and have Scrums daily (many on video). Ours
      are from 8:00 - 11:00 CST. This is earlier than some in the US like
      and later than some in India like. If no one likes it, it must be a
      perfect solution. ;)

      --
      Nick Xidis

      We are here to make another world. (Deming)
    • jayanthkalanje
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
        But what days are we going to do all the meetings and any specific reason for that..

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Nick Xidis <nxidis@...> wrote:

        > We have similar situation and have Scrums daily (many on video). Ours
        > are from 8:00 - 11:00 CST. This is earlier than some in the US like
        > and later than some in India like. If no one likes it, it must be a
        > perfect solution. ;)
        >
        > On 7/1/09, jayanthkalanje <jayanth.kalanje@...> wrote:
        > > Hi Everyone,
        > >
        > > We are trying to put in placeSCRUM process for our teams which are located
        > > at US and India, and one of the most difficult part is on deciding the
        > > meeting time. I have the following details -
        > >
        > > Teams - There are 2 SCRUM teams consisting of the following:
        > >
        > > Solution Analysts - Only in US act as Product Owners
        > > Framework Architects - Only in US
        > > Software Engineers - Only in India
        > > Test Engineers - Only in India
        > > Technical Leads - Only in India
        > >
        > > 2 SCRUM master (one each in US and India)
        > >
        > > We are planning to go for a 2 weeks Sprint and stuck up with deciding the
        > > meeting times for -
        > > Sprint Planning
        > > Sprint Review
        > > Sprint Retro
        > >
        > > US comes in CST timezone.
        > >
        > > If anyone is or has worked on these things appreciate your guidance.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance
        > >

        > --
        > Nick Xidis
        >
        > We are here to make another world. (Deming)

      • Elizabeth V Woodward
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009

          Hi Jayanth,

          In general when trying to set up meetings for distributed team members, I start by asking three questions:

          What days/times work *best* for you to meet?
          What days/times are *off limits*?
          What days/times would you be *willing* to meet (including outside of your normal working hours)?

          Every team is different. Some people are comfortable shifting their hours to have an earlier start and some are comfortable shifting hours to have a later start to help create an overlap in workdays for the meetings.  The important thing is to not make assumptions and to explicitly ask the team.

          Right now, I am on a team that has members in Raleigh, Austin, Beijing and Bangalore.  We are on two-week sprints that begin on Mondays. We split the sprint meeting into two parts... we have pre-planning Friday mornings from 7:45-9:45 am CT (GMT-6) where we help get the backlog groomed, discuss stories, and consider what our velocity indicates we might be able to pull off the backlog. Then Monday mornings we do demo, reflection, planning (commit to stories, identify tasks) from 7:45-9:45 CT.

          -elizabeth

          "jayanthkalanje" <jayanth.kalanje@...>
          Sent by: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

          07/01/2009 11:01 AM

          Please respond to
          scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

          scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          cc
          Subject
[...]

        • Tobias Mayer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
            Hi jayanthkalanje,

            here's a different kind of suggestion.  Remove the "Framework Architects" from the team altogether (after all, there is no "architect" role on a Scrum team) and have the POs attend only the Planning and Review meetings.  Let the remaining co-located India teams decide when they want to have their daily stand-ups.

            Tobias

            jayanthkalanje wrote:

            Hi Everyone,

            We are trying to put in placeSCRUM process for our teams which are located at US and India, and one of the most difficult part is on deciding the meeting time. I have the following details -

            Teams - There are 2 SCRUM teams consisting of the following:

            Solution Analysts - Only in US act as Product Owners
            Framework Architects - Only in US
            Software Engineers - Only in India
            Test Engineers - Only in India
            Technical Leads - Only in India

            2 SCRUM master (one each in US and India)

            We are planning to go for a 2 weeks Sprint and stuck up with deciding the meeting times for -
            Sprint Planning
            Sprint Review
            Sprint Retro

            US comes in CST timezone.

            If anyone is or has worked on these things appreciate your guidance.

            Thanks in advance

          • victor oliveira
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
              Hello Jayanth,

                 I also work in a project with a difference of 11 hours. What is certain is that you will loose a lot of time with the back and forth.

                 I agree with Elizabeth that it is very important that the teams have the opportunity to think of something and suggest to you. There is potential for very angry people when we talk about an 11 hour difference.

                 I also think some overall items are anyway important and you can already take these to the discussion with the team.
                 Maintain meetings with a max of 2 hours of duration. Plan to split the SprintPlanning and Review (if necessary). The split should be in consecutive days. 2 meetings for SprintPlanning + offline e-mails should be enough. If not, maybe you really need to work with smaller Sprints.
                 You must be very conscious of the time they can potentially share. Mondays and Fridays will always be problems for meetings.
                 Try to increase the overlap where at least one member of each location is online at the same time. Perhaps one team member likes to wake up early, and another would not mind shifting the work to a little bit later.
                 Here I have a team member that arrives at 08:00 AM, others that arrive at 10:00 AM (the usual hour for the company). The 08:00 AM guy is able to catch "urgent" communications from people staying a little bit late in the west. The guys in Kuala Lampur, Manila and mainland China tend to work late hours for the calls.

                 Invest in the infra-structure. I don't know what you have available for them to chat, do voice calls, video calls and desktop sharing, but it is important that all of these are very easy to use, and not a pain to setup.
                 Having toll-free numbers in both locations that enable them to join calls is very important.
                 We use a service for that, and it is worth it.

                 Also, using a system to share the SprintBacklog and ProductBacklog will be very important.

                 It will anyway be a pain anyway because feedback will take 24 hours. If a topic goes beyond 2 e-mails with lots of doubts, suggest a call for that subject (outside usual ceremony).

                 Hope this helps a bit.

              Best Regards,
              Victor Hugo de Oliveira

              Scrum & Agile Blog
              http://csvo.wordpress.com

              Concrete Solutions
              new edition: http://www.concretesolutions.com.br/index_eng/

[...]

            • Michael Vizdos
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
                Is "Don't do it this way" an option?

                What are some other options?

                Thank you,

                - Mike
                www.michaelvizdos.com
                www.implementingscrum.com

                On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM,
                jayanthkalanje<jayanth.kalanje@...> wrote:

                > Hi Everyone,
                >
                > We are trying to put in placeSCRUM process for our teams which are located
                > at US and India, and one of the most difficult part is on deciding the
                > meeting time. I have the following details -
                >
                > Teams - There are 2 SCRUM teams consisting of the following:
                >
                > Solution Analysts - Only in US act as Product Owners
                > Framework Architects - Only in US
                > Software Engineers - Only in India
                > Test Engineers - Only in India
                > Technical Leads - Only in India
                >
                > 2 SCRUM master (one each in US and India)
                >
                > We are planning to go for a 2 weeks Sprint and stuck up with deciding the
                > meeting times for -
                > Sprint Planning
                > Sprint Review
                > Sprint Retro
                >
                > US comes in CST timezone.
                >
                > If anyone is or has worked on these things appreciate your guidance.
                >
                > Thanks in advance

              • Adam Sroka
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Distributed teams can work with Agile. However, you seem to be
                  describing a team where nearly all of the business knowledge is in one
                  place (US) and nearly all of the technical knowledge is in another
                  (India.) It will be very hard to make this work in an Agile way. Would
                  it be possible to hire/relocate some business folks in/to India?
                  Technical folks in the US?

                  If you can have technical folks interacting with business folks in
                  each location and then some activity to coordinate those efforts -
                  similar to what it sounds like you have with the Scrummasters - then
                  you are far more likely to be successful. Plus, you won't need to
                  spend nearly as much time with the whole team on the phone.

                  On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:01 AM,