Definition of Feature Ready

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi All

      Having trouble describing to some scrum newbies the idea of implementing features as production ready. These are some people we outsource to that have in the past worked in a very structured waterfall manner (Politically please accept we just need to use them!).

      For instance. We ask that code be complete. Incorporated into the build process. Acceptance tested by the business. And integration tested as well (when we finally get that environment up!). But the question keeps coming back as "how can it be considered production ready when the feature 1.2 has not yet been bolted into feature 1"

      For example - in iteration 1's demo we will demonstrate the publishing of reports to the business but we will not yet archive in that publish process. We are also running this demo over hypersonic until the oracle environment is ready.

      A stable tested demonstration like this is sufficient for business feedback and although not "production ready" - I am certainly happy that all the work (final regressions etc aside) required to get those features into a production environment has been absorbed.

      We've decided to call things "feature ready" in an attempt to clear up what we mean. What I would really like however is a nice little article that describes the sort of things that make code not production ready (such as the untested, unintegrated etc as above).

      Might anyone have something like this I can reference?

      Thanks

      Tim