Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Managers in Retrospectives

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 19, 2009
      On Jun 15, 2009, at 5:12 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

      >> I personally dislike PO and SM there, so I usually ask a fellow
      >> facilitator to hold the retrospective and after that the team shares
      >> with me and the PO what they feel needs to be shared
      >
      > That seems odd to me. Are you and the PO that scary?

      Even in the normal case when the PO is a nice guy, there are no status-
      free interactions among humans, and the PO does have a type of
      authority.

      The problem is we overestimate our ability to detect this, just as
      (one study claimed) only 2% of people consider themselves below
      average leaders. Consider the possibility the difference between
      safety factor 9.99 and 10.00 is important, and also something we're
      not usually consciously aware of.

      Another effect of even the slightest boss/worker dynamic may be to
      inhibit natural leadership from emerging.

      Despite our latest "PO is on the Scrum Team" kick (which is also
      true), I'd suggest letting the development team decide whether to
      invite the PO for the entire retrospective each time, or perhaps only
      part of it, or some of them. This shouldn't be a big deal, as we're
      advised to mix up our retrospective techniques anyway.

      --mj
      .
      . An example checklist for serious ScrumMasters: http://tinyurl.com/cvdwor
      .